Why doesn't everyone add after-market efficiency add-ons to their trucks?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by bighossboss, May 20, 2017.

1. bighossboss

bighossboss Bobtail Member

May 20, 2017
    Hey gang,

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile because I am very interested in trucking. Just now created a profile to ask this question.

One thing I really don't understand is:
    Why isn't there more widespread adoption of efficiency tech for your trucks? A ton of people have anti-idle engine controls--but what about all the other things out there? e.g., chassis skirts and wheel covers and tire pressure monitors and all this jazz. ton of stuff out there.

What I don't understand is that the payback period for these things are like 7mo-1.5yrs--and then you're in the clear, saving thousands $$$ on fuel. So doesn't it make sense to adopt all these things? What am I missing?

Thanks for your input and safe travels out there!

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Because they have not learned "Chrome won't get ya home" "Chrome don't pay"
    I like the tire pressure monitors. First time I saw those were on busses in far away land. Starting to see them on trailers

bighossboss Thanks this.
  4. bighossboss

bighossboss Bobtail Member

May 20, 2017
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its only money.

Skirts are for girls, not trucks.

Wheel covers look stupid.

My truck will be fueled by chrome.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They are supporting the American worker. Every gallon less of fuel we burn hurts the American energy industry and the truck stop industry, as well as the tax base that rebuilds roads. Why do you not want to help support these people and industries?

If you don't spend it in fuel (generating tax revenues), they will find some other way to pick your pocket.

Am I being facetious? Maybe. Maybe not.

bighossboss, noluck, A21CAV and 2 others Thank this.
  7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't believe any of that stuff "saves thousands"..... and definitely not on that time frame......

bighossboss and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The only thing that might save money for a o/o would be super singles. Yet there are headaches to using these. Alot of highways like the ones going across the deserts of the south west have wheel ruts from trucks with duals. Drivers with super singles will be a uncomfortable ride as the tires will be trying to wander in and out of the ruts.

Hubcaps and skirting hinder doing a pretrip. Hub caps must be removed per pretrip for inspection. With out skirting a driver can fold at the waist and inspect the floor of the trailer from outside. Skirting would block the view of a good inspection.

The only one that makes sense really is to get an APU. Yet these are notorious for not working at the worst times. Even with proper maintenance.

In business it is all about keeping costs down. Mega fleets will like some of the stuff, yet not all of it. Most of what you are asking about might gain a 1/4 mile per gallon. So the truck went from 6 mpg to 6.25. Yet if the driver isnt happy with the toys that were installed, they will have just wasted money on something frivolous.

Just because it makes good copy to read, doesnt mean that it helps a driver get his job done better. Company drivers tend to not give a rats tail about efficiency. Only o/o would need it and alot of times there may not be enough money for them to have take home pay because of repairs needed trying to make money.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    bighossboss Thanks this.
  9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Just my opinion but you can spend thousands on snake oil "proven" fuel saving products that might or might not save fuel. The biggest fuel saving tech is between the seat and the steering wheel.

10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    "Save oil and the environment by adding plastic garbage all over a mega fleet's truck with a 3 year life cycle!!!"
    *manufacturing plastic aero garbage uses oil and creates more pollution*

You really want to save the environment? Stop buying new ####. These idiots that constantly trade their cars in for the next best "low-emission, 50+ mpg" cars drive me insane. The emissions and waste produced by manufacturing that "super-efficient" car are probably equivalent to 15 years of you driving a Chevy small block.

The most effective method to saving money and being green is not buying ####. Plain and simple.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't think so either. It's all about giving the appearance of attempting to be environmentally responsible".

I'm with @wore out. You want to save fuel? Don't leave a trail of smoke that can be followed for miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.