Why don't trucks go 55 for fuel efficiency?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jordan Shackelford, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    ***** Extra Credit*****

I've had my APU on for like 25 hours. How many hours of wear have I put on my engine and after treatment system?

gimacen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    To play devil's advocate here, it is still true to say that in your example truck#2 will waste less time to burn whatever amount of fuel is needed to cover the same distance. Which might turn out to be a better outcome, nonetheless.
    Trying to be a smart ###. :D

Long FLD and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Just don't! :D
    My brain still hurts trying to grasp his idea. o_O

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Sometimes these things - physics laws, are more counterintuitive to people due to the way they feel them.
    One more theory that I heard, to which I decided not to find an argument was that when you travel at higher speeds, the vehicle burns less fuel due its higher momentum. The velocity and mass will plow through the air resistance at better efficiency thus, supposedly, burn less fuel than a vehicle with a lesser momentum, struggling with a head wind in a more effort absorbing way.
    I was going to ask the other party if that means that a freight train would burn less gallons of fuel than his truck covering the same distance under the same weather conditions ( even if they mattered) but decided not to pursue the subject out of diplomatic reasons. As the fellow was in front of me at the fuel island and surely he would have persued the subject even further and I was ready to go.

Hammer166 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How can it burn less fuel at a higher speed when the faster you go the more energy you need to push the truck through the air?

There have been studies that show for every one mile per hour over 55 you lose one tenth of a mile per gallon. Using @Hammer166 ’s example above was a simple way to explain it but the same truck and same driver with the same load on the same road would never have the same fuel economy when one trip was 15 mph faster. I’m not smart, I’m just a truck driver, but I do know it takes fuel to push a brick through the air.

Czar_Zero, Hammer166 and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    This is too funny. Found this old Instagram post from 2017 and according to the caption I had 4 hours to kill and stopped to take my dog for a hike. Pretty sure this was not a 19 hour day on my electronic log. Lol

51121D69-EEDF-45B0-8E12-F9F2410567C8.jpeg

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    we (when i was working) keep up with the flow of traffic. too many others are going to ram into our donkey's if we drive too slow.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Putting theory and studies aside, sometimes I go slower, sometimes I go faster but the most 'visible difference' in mpg I see only when I am light vs heavy.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    You're absolutely right. I did it that way too show that travel time had zero effect on fuel burn, which was opposite of Snowwy's ridiculous premise.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    My speed and mpg’s depend on if I’m hungry or can get loaded/unloaded early or if I wanna shower or if mama is waiting for me or if I have to use the restroom. Hahaha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.