why dont trucks have turn signal canceling?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by slatherd, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The Volvo I drove last year would turn them off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GungHoGal

GungHoGal <strong>"Miss Oh! Don't get me started"</strong>

May 11, 2007
    Guess it takes a girl to answer this one lol.. The flashing signal is normally canceled by a steering wheel sensor which is fine for a regular passenger vehicle because it would self-cancel after your vehicle is completely into the lane you are turning into. In a truck, though, because of the length, it would shut off before your trailer was completely in the lane. I know the Volvos do have the self canceling signals, but the drivers that I have talked to say they have to pretty much hold them down to make them stay on for the duration of the lane change or manuever.

4. ConcreteAngel

ConcreteAngel Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Good point.. Think about it.. you are making a right or left hand turn, and you put on your turn signal. Depending on the turn, for the most part your tractor has made the turn, but your trailer is still in the process of making the turn, so it would still need some kind of "warning" device that it's still turning.. --- cause some people ARE blind and they don't see that great big trailer in front or beside them.. lol

Good job msSage.

CA ... :biggrin_25519:

5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Yep. Volvos have that, and it honks me off big time. That and the (wimpy) air horn being in the center of the wheel. :biggrin_25510:

ATTENTION, VOLVO NA: It's a truck, not a car. Fire your design team and go find people who actually know their way around trucks.

6. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    They just like keeping us on our toes lol! I wouldn't want mine to turn off as someone else said, if I need to make a wide turn what a mess!

7. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    Or maybe the company was/is wanted?

I agree on the wimpy air horn, but like it being on the wheel.

8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle "Bregan D'Aerthe"

Jan 15, 2006
    I wish the manufacturers would fire the person who decided that the car thinks it knows better than I do whether or not I want the headlights on! No, I don't need the ###### lights flashing on & off every time I go under a long overpass! Every time I drive a car with auto lights, they get turned off.

International daycabs (4700/4900 series) have had self-canceling signals for 10 years...so do the daycab Sterlings & Internationals at work. I seem to recall the Freightliner Businsess Class also has used them for 10+ years.

Ford F-series MDT's have used them for many years, since the cab & interior are the same as an F-150.

9. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Turn signals. never use em there annoying :biggrin_25512:

10. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Because sometimes when you turn, you must turn the steers multiple directions (NOT all at once) to complete the turn. Example, sometimes when turning right, when you start your turn you must first turn sharply left to get the trailer in position so it won't jump the curb or hit an obstruction on the corner (pole, hydrant, etc).

11. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    That isn't exactly true. I used to have a 1951 Dodge pick-up that had the "add-on" turn signals. On the top of the unit was a small wheel that rubbed on the bottom of the steering wheel. That canceled the turn signals after the steering wheel returned to the neutral position.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.