Why I Pull my Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by stepnfetchit, Dec 1, 2009.

1. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    I'm curious, why do you own a particular trailer, ie Reefer, Van, Flatbed,Hopper,Tanker,Cattle Trailer,etc.

VARITHMS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I started doing reefer and that's it in a nutshell. People need to eat so a reefers can keep running regardless of the economy. You can also use them as a regular van without the reefer running, so it's a pretty versatile trailer.

trucker43 and stepnfetchit Thank this.
  4. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    To answer your posted question....its a heck of a lot easier than pushing it. :biggrin_2559::biggrin_25525:

As for why I pull the trailer I do????? Its what was available at the time for me to pull. Now? I prefer the areas in which I haul to and from, country style settings. Being a long-haired-country-boy I figure I am best suited to hauling logs, hoppers or cattle pots. Its where I am comfortable.

trucker43 and rookietrucker Thank this.
  5. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga
    Why I Pull my Trailer?

Bob tail does not pay as much
    I like machines always have
    They don't need to be hot or cold
    They also don't rot.
    I don't have to use a skill I don't have backing to a dock
    They don't care if they get wet (no tarps)
    Never any waiting to unload
    Folks always happy to see me.

Donk and trucker43 Thank this.
  6. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    WAIT!!!!!!!!

We are suppose to pull a trailer? I knew I was doing sumptin wrong.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  7. stepnfetchit

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    Knew I should have worded this different. Still curious though. I prefer a reefer or a hopper. With a reefer I had more options. Always seemed the load paid better for a reefer but that's just my experience. Liked hoppers because the grain elevators around here always had some neat stuff and around Thanksgiving and Christmas they gave you pens,yardsticks,calendars, and even got fed at a few of them. Liked opening the doors and the product took itself off. Would still like to know what trailer someone else prefers and why. Blue skies, green lights, and may the good Lord take a like'n to you.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  8. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I was just joking... I knew what you were asking & I will properly answer your question now.

I'm a skater boy! When I started I was a skater, I was trained by a 100% skater company, & that is what I have been doing now for 10 years.

I hooked up to a van once when I was with SMX (pre-western days) and dragged it across Birmingham, AL to the terminal... Only because they needed it & I was bobtailing past anyhow... So why not do them a favor. 20 miles & it didn't feel right. I felt dirty & ashamed afterwards. I felt violated & raped... I had to take a long shower & still didn't feel right. I was scarred for life after that incident & was hoping that none of my CB friends saw me!

I entertained a reefer outfit this past July. Went to their orientation & walked out after a couple hours. Why? Because they were talking stuff I didn't know a #### thing about. Sliding axles.... Bridge laws.... Lumpers.... Hunts Point....

I'm a skater. I like no lumpers... No Hunts Points... No bridge laws... No sliding axles... And absolutely love putting 40K on my rear axle & still being completely legal!

9. stepnfetchit

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    I started out on a skateboard but after 3 years the co went out of business. We hauled cowhides east and steel,copper, or aluminum west. We loaded in Oswego NY or Rome NY and I always envied the guys with vans. They loaded, blocked the pallets, closed the doors and left. Me, I'm still tying ropes to the side rails or rubber straps. Finally got to pull a van and things went pretty good til I learned you could haul groceries in the thing. Kinda took the wind out. Anyway got talked into a reefer and just never was really happy otherwise.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it pays more then pulling my pud

but isn't near as much fun

11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Started out on a flatbed...I love it!

I must love it, I've been doing it for a long time...

stepnfetchit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.