Why is FREIGHT SO CHEAP??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by samjward, May 20, 2016.

1. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    This is a question I've asked many, and yet, no one seems to have a verifiable answer. Does anyone know why freight is so bad?

Let me start by listing off the things that aren't true:

-Fuel costs being low. (This doesn't make a huge difference in how much YOUR cost-per-mile should be.
    For example: It does not explain how things went from 2.00+/mile to 0.86/mile on average. The last time I thought about this I'm pretty sure an O/O can't afford to run his/her truck for less than 1.50/mile average. Give or take depending on if the individual owns his/her own truck and trailer and has it paid off. )

-The economy is bad. (This is a bunch of bs that brokers are shoving down your throats. Yes, the economy is bad. It's been bad for some time now. But take a look at some of the shippers out there. They're making millions off of stupid O/O's who do not know their operating costs and are taking these loads. If everyone just realized that it's better to sit and deny the bad freight than to take it to "Keep the wheels moving".

-Consumers aren't purchasing things as much anymore. (Another bs answer. People buy things everyday. How do you eat? Of course everyone still eats.)

Brokers are doing this as a whole, almost if they're all reading from the same manual. How is the national average less than 0.60/mile? That's a driver salary alone (give or take).

I can't blame the brokers 100% either, because the shippers are also giving horrible rates. That right there is the problem! THE BROKER SHOULD BE RESPECTFUL OF THE CARRIER AND MAKE SURE ALL COSTS ARE IN THE RATE SO THE CARRIER MAKES AT LEAST SOME MONEY. Once all the O/O's are bankrupt and out of business maybe the brokers and shippers will learn that the larger carriers really don't care much about shipper accounts as they have MANY of them. Good luck getting your freight hauled in the near future. :)

Brokers = Sit at home or in office grossing up to 1 million annually. And for all who say it takes "work" to get shippers. You are full of ####. It takes about 1-1.5 hrs of calling shippers to get contracts as a broker. The truth is there is no "work" being done by brokers - it takes $ to start the business and you're ready to go. Broker authority.. CHECK, bond on file... CHECK, BOC-3....CHECK, UCR paid....CHECK. Take 45% of every load...CHECK. (Not all brokers take 45%, but many do.)

Carriers (O/O's) = Work 7 days a week, pay for all costs to haul the load, pay taxes (IFTA, 2290, various HUTs), pay fuel, pay insurance, pay truck and trailer payments, tolls, truck and trailer maintenance, accounting fees, etc. Make less than 40,000/year after expenses while being harassed by the FMCSA, DOT. O/O's are treated like children. They're told when to eat, when to sleep, when to awake, when to drive. Regulations and low rates push O/O's to disobey the law in order to get the low-paying load to it's destination only to be harassed by DOT and local police for being out of hours or trying to park and told to leave or given a ticket. I mean, you can't even sleep during the day or it will take out hours from your 14. What if you're sleepy and only need a nap? Nope, just keep driving tired because you'll be illegal to drive and late for your appointment.

This is all a game, it's all about $$$. And O/O's are segregated from the money-making crowd.

The point I'm trying to make is that freight rates have no reason to be low. They're low on purpose. And as O/O's continue running the freight, people will keep rates that way. The only thing we can hope is that they don't have deep pockets and they go out of business sooner than later.

If someone here has "inside" information to prove me wrong, I'd gladly like to hear an answer. If you look, there truly is NO FREIGHT SHORTAGE.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Reason for edit: freight - to - fuel
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    The old rules of supply and demand. I know you wanted a more lengthy answer, but it's just that simple.

4. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    It's very simple look at who's driving dude. Look at the equipment and look at who's driving it. Thank them for the low rates.

rank, roadmap65, spax and 4 others Thank this.
  5. bigmotor1212

bigmotor1212 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I believe because of consolidation, there are a small number of large brokerages controlling a large portion of the freight. Some are involved with mega carriers in some way. They offer freight at low prices, and will not book above certain thresholds. This makes their freight unavailable to smaller carriers, and independents. So those trucks are competeing for a smaller amount of freight. Applying downward pressure on that freight. I haven't researched this, but I know there have been some merges and buyouts the last five or six years.

6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Sweatpants, flip flops and worn out tees are cheaper than a good pair of boots, nice jeans and a nice button down shirt therefore drivers don't need to make as much as when truckers had respect for themselves.

7. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Shippers are paying pretty high rates. But that money is not making it to the trucker.

8. colorado18spd

colorado18spd Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Agree 100%

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You may not believe this but cheap fuel is killing business in the spot market, oil fiel has shut down dumping a lot of trucks into the spot market.
    They is still good paying freight out there you just need to be associated with the right people to get it.

A warehouse that ships for Cat in GA has gone from 71 down to 7 employees , tells you they ain't shipping much

spyder7723 and tommymonza Thank this.
  10. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Any proof of this? I just spoke to Preferred Freezer Services out of NJ last week and their rates were about 1.25/mile. That was their rate for broker or carrier.

11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Had a coustemer I was headded to today in nebraska today that I get loads right to the house. Last year was $1400.00 talked us down to $1200 at the end of last year. Beginning of this year $1000.00. Called me today and said he had a guy there that wanted to do it for $600.00. It's about 500 loaded miles but always a good deadhead to get there and some times it's 2 pickups as much as 100 miles apart.

I told him to have the guy do it and we both laughed. Good guy and I don't blame him for taking it, but not on my truck. He would never respect us when freight picks back up. Would always expect $600 in the future from us.

Our other local coustemers are steel buildings and they are way down on sales. Like half of budgeted sales this year to date. Went from 6 days 3 shifted to 5 days 1 shift. They pay fuel sure charge, high last year was like .60 cents this year under .20 cents. So they are saying .40 swing.

These examples are direct coustemers not brokered loads.

I'm new to the industry so what do I know?

Good luck

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.