Why is it better to have the tandems slid forward when alleydocking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 16, 2022.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    No. I can tell by pulling against the tandem pins whether or not they set.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I have been baffled as to why I would need more forward space with the tandems slid to the rear.

Something just occurred to me. If the tandems are slid all the way back, I have to turn the steering wheel farther to get the trailer to react. Well, if I have to turn the steering wheel farther to get the trailer to react (with the tandems to the rear), is my turning the steering wheel farther when backing why I would need more forward space?

I keep thinking of how when I have the tandems slid back, I have to turn the steering wheel farther to get the trailer to react adequately, but my turning the steering wheel farther would also affect the tractor.

4. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    A lot of people are all telling me the same thing.

I understand how the trailer "reacts faster" with the tandems forward than with the tandems at the rear. I understand tail swing when driving forward. Nobody has explained to me how that makes it so that you need less forward space with the tandems forward. I need someone to explain it to me like I am a five year old.

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I think you answered your own question but don't realize it. If space is limited having the tandems slid forward will make your trailer react quicker to your inputs from the steering wheel. But the con to that is more tail swing. If there was a truck on both sides of your dock you'd have to worry still about the tail of your trailer hitting truck next to you. Really it's probably a matter of personal preference in every situation and doing what works for you after a million miles.

6. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    How would making your trailer react quicker to your inputs from the steering wheel make it so you don't need as much forward space?

7. lester

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Because sliding your tandems forward essentially makes your trailer shorter. Shorter is always better with limited space.
    But again it depends if there's something on the other side of your dock that you have to worry about backing your trailer into.

8. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    No. The trailer is 53' no matter where the tandems are.

You make it sound like the trailer is an accordion that compresses when the wheelbase is shortened.

Therefore, I still don't fully understand this.

9. lester

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    In your drawing where there is nothing to worry about on the east side of your dock, and assuming space is limited in front of your dock. And as far as the turning part of your maneuver into the dock. The trailer being 53 ft doesn't matter. All that matters is where the trailer tandems are. Pretend your trailer does accordion when you slide your axles forward or back. The trailer tandems are the pivot point. Tandems slid up equals tighter turning.
    But again in this scenario you aren't worrying about your tail, because it doesn't matter, there's nothing for it to hit. But in reality that rarely happens.

10. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Well, think what your trailer is going to do if you were in that dock with your tandems all the way forward and you pulled out till they were just past the tractor to your left, and you hang a sharp left, your tail swing will most likely hit whatever is on the right side. Now do all that in reverse, like your going to bump the dock, and take out the term "tail swing" and replace it with overhang. As far as what other drivers say about whats best or whats right as far as your backing, who cares as long as it works for you.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I often did that when I had an air slider on my Trailer. Maybe he’s jealous. Maybe he should be asking you why, instead of telling you how. Whatever works best.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.