Why is it better to have the tandems slid forward when alleydocking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 16, 2022.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    No. That doesn't answer the question.

You haven't said why the overhang makes any difference when backing. The trailer is 53' no matter where the tandems are.

You said "if I don't turn hard enough, I will hit the other trailer because of the overhang."

The truth is the overhang is irrelevant. If you don't turn hard enough, you will hit the other trailer regardless of whether or not there is overhang.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I had to skip a lot of responses that MAY cover this (headed to the grocery store), but it depends on where you have extra room to maneuver. If the spot you're backing into will have no issues with tailswing, it's nice to have a fast-reacting trailer for maneuvering. If you have a bunch of space in FRONT of your truck, you might want the predictability of having the tandems all the way to the rear. Both have pluses and minuses.

4. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    How does having the tandems all the way to the rear give you more predictability when the truck is in reverse (not when you are driving forward doing a pull up)?

Please explain it to me like I am a five year old.

5. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    I'm having a hard time so I'm done.

6. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    The wheel base is as long as the trailer, so you won't have to account for overswing.

7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Through repeated responses, the collaboration is evident.
    So why the repetitive question?
    I don't know any people of 5 years old, and VERY few people, if ANY, at 5 years old could grasp the intricacies of Truck Driving, much less Backing a Combo.
    While there have been (I was equivalent at times), are and will be similarities of Drivers "sounding" like they're representing 5 year old children, a true 5 year old hasn't, as yet, the capability to drive a 70 foot combo forward, much less backward, so
    isn't feasible.
    - - - - - -
    Backing a 70' combo is easy once you know the pattern of SUCCESS.
    There is NO SCRIPT apart from EXPERIENCE.
    - - - - - -
    The way I LEARNED was through OTHER DRIVERS, by WATCHING, LISTENING and PRACTICING.
    How YOU LEARN will be the way YOU SUCCEED.:D

GET OUT AND LOOK, whether it be 2 tO 20 times, it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!! ;):)

CHEERS!!

8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Shorter distance between the wheels (wheelbase) means the trailer reacts faster. Think of the difference between a car and a bus.

Longer distance between the wheels means the wheels will basically be 95% of the vehicle (no overswing), but it's going to take forever to get it to react when you turn the wheel.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I can explain this eighty different ways, but I'm hoping you get what I mean.

10. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx

11. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I don't think I have ever seen the word overswing before. Please define the word overswing for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.