Why is it so hard to find good drivers?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ziggy319, Sep 5, 2013.

1. shollis125

shollis125 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2021

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shollis125

Jul 15, 2021
    If a mediocre Car Hauler like you can do it as you stated just think what a good Car Hauler can do?

Let me tell you what HE can do. He don’t sleep in motels, he drives a 2021 soon to be 2022 Peterbilt 80’r Quick Loader. He’s paid his dues over years in fact 25 years as a Car Hauler running a High Rail. Now he runs OTR 2 to 3 loads a week. He’ll make over $135k this year not busting his ### either. He stays out OTR 12 to 18 days at a time and he don’t do a reset but he takes 2 days home time. Why because He choose that time not his Boss.
    When there’s other Drivers that want every weekend home and a day during the week to be with their family he’s out there delivering on the weekends. Will the NEW Car Haulers do what the Old Timers do work wise when there is work especially local 7 days a week? Doubt it
    There’s cars on the ground to haul and there’s money to be made IF you are willing to work for it….

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012

I am glad you are happy running the way you like and I am happy running the way I like. At 55 years of age and 34 years trucking I have absolutely no need or desire to run the road. I prefer my 6-8 120-200 mile loads working 45-65 hours a week. Being out one or two nights a week sleeping at the Drury is more desirable to me than being out weeks at a time on the road, but to each their own.
    I also have a 2022 80’ quick-loader, but by choice I kept my 2015 389 Pete glider hooked to it. At 480,000 miles since I drove it home from Cottrell 6 years ago, it is barely broken in. They don’t make them like this anymore and you couldn’t give me an emissions motor. Hit it as hard as you feel like driver and so will I.
    If you ever get the opportunity to load next to me, you may better understand my definition of “mediocre”. I am the Tortoise and really don’t care how fast or good another carhauler is, as I am concerned with me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  5. MrCompton734

MrCompton734 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Woodhaven, MI
    Why would a NEW driver become a car hauler? I can work 6 days a week, home every day at $300+ per day with literally no experience, plenty of offers out there. I left car haul because the pay is nowhere near equal to the work. With 6 months experience in a dry van, you can find $400/day positions in my area home every day. I can work 6 days a week and make $125,000 per year with just 6 months experience in a dry van. That's where the rates are at. Why would I ever go chasing down cars and climbing in and out for little to no more money? I get that's not where everyone lives and different strokes for different folks. But for new drivers, they really should be aware that car haul isn't exactly the top pay just because it requires more thinking and labor. How is $135k a year to be gone 18 days at a time and do hard work better than $400/per day no touch freight or $0.70cpm on regional? This is just what I'm seeing for myself as options. I have even seen some advertising at $.90cpm for over the road. I'm just looking for a real answer to why people are hauling cars for the similar rates or even less than easier work, especially on the local side of things.

6. shollis125

Jul 15, 2021

7. shollis125

Jul 15, 2021
    Depends on what a NEW Driver wants to do. Bump docks or haul cars Not everyone is made for that home every night life working 12 to 14 hours a day to then drive home to be home 10 hours. Remember every drivers home location isn’t close to a Terminal for Virginia, Moore, Brothers, Jack Cooper which told my friend he lives way to far 3 hours a way to even consider working for them. Oh hell no we don’t have loads where you live and we’re not paying you to deadhead 2-3 hours home. You better have a good car some place at a central location like a Auto Auction to get home.
    I stand by my original comment will NEW Drivers do what Old Timers do? Doubt it

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    63A3ECA3-BA81-45F6-8EE8-1E9E14382B8E.gif
    This is only my opinion, but someone has to really want to be a carhauler, not just a good paycheck. You have to be one of us that for years would look in awe of the carhaulers going down the road and say I need to do that. 10 years ago I left a much better Union job than Carhaul, for MOST PEOPLE but not a better job for ME. I wouldn’t do what I am currently doing as a company driver, Union or non union because it wouldn’t pay me enough. Short Haul, Short Country, local whatever you want to call it can pay an owner operator very well regardless of what anyone tells you. I start and stop my day when it suits me and I take off any time I need a break. I couldn’t do that at any job I have ever had. Fortunately not as many people are entering Carhaul as are leaving and it is driving rates up. Some places slower than others, but companies are gradually realizing that people are not going to do this work cheap. Some are learning the hard way that while it may have worked in some places in the past it will not work in the future. Way too many other options for drivers in 2022.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I can agree with you but only if I put a because attached to it.
    New drivers won’t do what Old Timers did, BECAUSE THEY DON’T HAVE TO ANYMORE. Times have changed drastically and trucking is completely different than it was in 1986 when I first stepped into a tractor and trailer.

10. shollis125

Jul 15, 2021

11. shollis125

Jul 15, 2021
    That picture tells it all. It’s about the Money and the Benefits.
    When a Company can offer you paid Company Benefits, loads back to your house (within 30 minutes) New Equipment, Company Credit Card for truck supplies or a motel. Virtually no deadhead miles (maybe 1-2 hours until next stop) family atmosphere no really this is why Companies can hire Drivers and other Companies can’t . When these Companies work with their Drivers needs for home time for their family these Companies will keep Drivers.
    Make it worth a Drivers while to be a Car Hauler because as said there’s other Driving Jobs out there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.