Why is it that every trucker I meet smokes?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by anses, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I keep trying to quit--as for y so many of us do--simple w/drug and alcohol teztin nowdays its all we got left!
    LMAO

mje and Arkansas Frost Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    yep, that just always amazes me that people can be so short sighted and blissfully ignorant.

If they played a game of Russian roulette and lived I suppose they would claim that its perfectly safe to point a loaded gun at your own head and pull the trigger.

Y2K and mje Thank this.
  4. Ratherbhunting

Ratherbhunting Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Enola, Pa
    I dont smoke or drink coffee and i know i am a minority. I also dont eat at truck stops and am not overweight. I love the guys who blame/complain about being gone from home and stressed out. I think McDonald's is hiring.

mje and Y2K Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Smoke a carton and find out why. :yes2557:

6. 66mustang

66mustang Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I quit 4 years ago. What helped me quit was Allen Carr's book Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It helped me prepare psychologically.

What helped me stay quit was: http://whyquit.com/. Basically this site explains the mechanics of tobacco addiction. I learned there was one way to stay quit and that is to never take another puff (NTAP.)

I also ate a lot of sesame seeds and stayed away from alcohol for awhile. Quitting was tough at first, but became easier every day.

mje Thanks this.
  7. Arkansas Frost

Arkansas Frost Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    North Little Rock, AR
    I'm five months free from cancer sticks! Not sure how I did it. I just got tired of smoking and quit buying them. Every once in a while I think about it when my nerves are shot but I only have to walk into a truckstop to remember what smokers smell like, lol. You stinky ne'er do wells!!

mje Thanks this.
  8. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Yeah.Right.It's the SMOKE which stinks.If anything,the smoke helps cover up the "stink".

mje, Arkansas Frost and 48Packard Thank this.
  9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    "Smoking: The alternative to showering!"

10. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I like it!!!! May I use that one and have no fear of being sued due to copyright infringement? :) Cigars for the VERY stinky ########..:biggrin_2559:

mje, Arkansas Frost and 48Packard Thank this.
  11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I managed to quit after being a smoker since I was 16. I had back surgery in Sept 2012 . . . finally (idiot doctors, but that's another story). I had told myself that I would quit smoking when I found a doc that could fix my back. It will be a year soon, and I am still a non-smoker. Being in the hospital for three days after the surgery, doped up on the good stuff helped get me through the first three days, but honestly, I have not missed it, had no desire to pick up a cig, and it doesn't bother me in the least to be around someone who smokes. Guess my subconscious took my statement and ran with it.

That being said, I'm not taking the stance that too many ex-smokers seem to take and become a nazi about smoking. I'm glad I was able to quit, but I know that the situation is what helped me quit, pure and simple. Without the exact circumstances I would still be a smoker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.