Why is trucking so stressful?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Why am I gray haired since I started Trucking?

tommymonza Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lawson7773

Lawson7773 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Well buddy ..its only goin to get #### worse with these #### ELDS. It used not be near as freaking stressful before and I got more rest before on paperlogs...I'm looking bout getting the hell out jus like ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY DONE

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
    Reason for edit: Skirting profanity filter
    Canadianhauler21 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. Watchman63

Watchman63 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2017
    In the US, there are a lot of carriers that will reimburse your tuition, even if that tuition is owed to another carrier. Maybe there are carriers in Canada that do the same. Check around, hopefully you can find another carrier that will reimburse what you owe to your current company.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Right on.

They have QCs, they prefer you use QC, right? So,if you have a QC, but are getting phone calls from your travel agent, BEWARE. Answer at your own risk. I would advise you to let the phone ring and then send a message on the QC and say, “Hey, missed your call...what’s up?”

Usually, if I get a phone call, it’s about a random drug test. Years ago it was, “Hey Six, can you do me a biiiiig favor?” Nope. Nothing personal, this is business. I don’t do favors. I’m not your friend. I don’t care if you like me or not. I don’t work for cheap. Show me the money.

So, driving is stressful. Other than a snake n the grass travel agent of yours, what else stresses you out? Shippers and receivers? Traffic? Backing?
    I do the best job I can. I do my best to avoid getting lost. I call the shippers and receivers. If there is a load where in the comments that says the CSR rep sets the appointment, I reject that load automatically. I set the appointments. If I am not oversized, I drive at night. I don’t watch TV. I am properly rested. Went for a walk through town at sundown. Walking helps a lot.

I do not worry about anything that I can not control. Practice backing on your free time. The goal isn’t to just get a job, the goal is to be good at what you do. Bring that A Game every time you play. In order to do your best, you have to prepare and practice. Within a few weeks or a month, things will ease up and you will become better. And since you know that your travel agent is a snake n the grass, be on guard.

Luck in battle.

6. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Captain your ship, OP. You call the shots on how you handle the situations. Always look out for yourself first. Today, prime example, my boss calls me and asks me to have my next to last stop move 12 pallets off a trailer, unload their own stuff, reload a few returns, and then put the 12 skids back on.

The other stop was one pallet, and they were five miles apart. So, I let common sense prevail, and went to the 12 pallet stop first, had him move 1 pallet out of the way, and then emptied out at the other stop and pick up the returns. Dispatch usually talks to you from the blind, appease them with some phrases like “you don’t say” or “hmm, I will take that into consideration” then make the best decision with all the info. Good luck.

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    If it’s too stressful you take your job too seriously

SOAthor Thanks this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Because of that Frikn CLOCK. I could Care less about shipping times.

That stupid clock is thee single most dangerous distraction too safe trucking.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    OH F YES!!!!! JOE PETERBILT OLD POS IRON PARKED NEXT TO ME HIGH IDLE SQUEAKY F POS EVERYTHING!!!!!

YEA OLD IRON RULES MAN!!!

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    G

Yea and your probably sittin in One of Dem Hi Rent Condos with a big V on dem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.