Why Lease? Doesn’t Make Business Sense to Me.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by macher, Jan 1, 2021.

1. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Yea I think I can make it work. Looks like plenty of good paying freight within a 50 mile radius.

I want to keep my overhead close to nothing as possible. Not even concerned about revenue that will come. Keeping expenses to a minimum are important to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Seriously dude, if you don't want to lease then don't. Seems a lot simpler than starting a thread.

lynchy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    No I don’t lol.

5. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    I just threw something out there which is my opinion. Others can chime in with theirs.

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You are thinking differently than the “company driver mentality”. IE less miles can equal more revenue. You may be on the right path. None of us has it completely figured out as continuous improvement is essential in any business.

Vampire and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Yea need to work as hard as possible for less money like most drivers in the industry...

I did just under 1200 last week....

the only time leasing makes sense to me is if you have a business (other then trucking) and need to move your own product

D.Tibbitt, macher and Banker Thank this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Guy I know runs a pretty decent sized operation. He leases all his company trucks which are about 50 in all at any given time.

They're full maintenance leases...

He has no desire to run a shop or the other issues that come with running a truck regarding maintenance. If a truck goes into the shop for any length of time, the lease company provides a loaner truck.

When the lease is fully amortized, he turns them back in or has the option of paying off the residual balance and keeping it in his fleet.

The one's he keeps, he usually re-leases to guys that wanna become millionaire lease operators running under his authority, pulling his customer's freight in his trailers that he charges them $1,000 a month to pull.

That's his "fascination" with leasing. Seems to be working real well for him ;-)

RubyEagle and 77fib77 Thank this.
  9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Lease payment is deductible too. My mom, when she had her business, leased her car. It was smarter financially.

RubyEagle and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Leases can be structured in many different ways. The reality is that most of these Manufacturer/Dealership leases that the big boys can get are not available to the 1 truck operator.

For the bigger guys, it's just factored in as the cost of doing business, they have no attachment to equipment like a 1 man operation might have to his own equipment. To these guys, it's just a tool and another line item built in to their cost of operation.

Then again, this discussion has been made ad nauseam on this forum.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Flat bedding, tankers. I did run a lot of miles doing that. Tanks beat up trucks pretty good with surge too.

bzinger and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.