Why my CB radio is on all the time, and why yours should be, too

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Aug 13, 2016.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    The CB may be dying, but I'm hoping for enough people to try to revive it.
    If you don't care to have it on, that's your prerogative, but I'm a little surprised at the outright hostility towards it.
    There are many a night where I won't hear a single peep, and then there's other nights where I can't wait to get far enough down the road so that I'm out of range of our local base tower dweebs, spending all their time talking about how big their radio is, and shouting down any driver who tries to get a word in edgewise (they're usually drunk or stoned at this point).
    What amuses me constantly is when there IS a problem, and we're all caught at a standstill, suddenly EVERYBODY has their radio on, griping about being caught in the traffic. I know almost nobody will hear me, but I'll still call out to drivers heading the other direction when the road is blocked by a collision, or a stalled vehicle, or debris or a dead elk in the road. I've been thanked enough time's know that the radio is still a very useful tool if enough people would implement it once again.
    It's always nice on my return trip from Portland in the morning to hear the loggers around the Longview area give their shoutouts in the morning, especially on Fridays. These folks are a throwback to what I would guess were the "good old days" of radio traffic:
    "'Mornin', Bob. Where you off to?"
    "'Mornin', Al. Heading up to the..."(usually I have no idea what they're talking about at this point).
    "Okay. Just be aware they're doing some paving out there today, you may want to go around the back way."
    "Thanks, Al. You got big plans this weekend?"
    "Oh, me and the wife are heading to the coast, the kids are staying with their grandparents."
    "Sounds great. Well, you both have a good time, I'll talk to you Monday."
    "You too, stay safe."
    These loggers have helped me out a couple times, as well. Great bunch of drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

If you want to use a CB use one, nobody is suggesting you don't. I'll get by without one, but I've also been driving a day cab for the last 8 years or so, after many years of otr, so ymmv.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The growth of the training company might have a bit to do with what's being discussed here...

Friday while sitting in traffic I overhead someone pitching a fit about a nearby "big orange turd".

Zeviander and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll never forget that CB raise up about 3 years ago now; "HAY TRIPOD, YOUR BRAKES ARE SMOKING.."
    Was one of the first years hauling UPI out of season for my asphalt, and the securement AND the trailer sucked, but what did I know? Not much; I'm not a flatbedder by trade...was my 1st year, no training off season. I still respect the hellouttayouguys~!!
    That guy saved my life, perhaps. At least my job. He waved as he drove by, and I re-secured my load and adjusted the trailer issues, best I could. He was NOT an O/O by the way; a very reputable co. guy.
    So yeah, it's saved my life. . . and when we get to Shelly in Toledo, guess what?!? we go to channel 3 niner for instructions as to which hangar to dock at.
    Still works for me; sorry y'all younguns that don't see the need. I require.

6. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I guess I opened up a can of worms with this one, but it was mostly aimed at the newbies who are just getting into the industry. Like it or not, agree with me or not, the CB is just as valuable a tool as a map, flashlight, tire gauge, etc, and I won't truck without one, save the occasional day when I'm in a loaner truck due to getting routine maintenance done on mine.

What cracks me up, and often times is more irritating than the baba booey crowd, is when you're sitting in a traffic jam and some or a few tell you what lane is closed, and yet you get 15 guys coming in asking "what lane's open?" or "what's going on?". If you had the radio on, you'd already know.

Worst part, and what bothers me THE MOST, is that hardly anyone on the opposing side will bother to grab the mic and let you know what's coming up ahead. Too many times, I've crested a hill, or come around a curve, only to find traffic at a dead stop. It's kind of nice when someone will come on and let you know a mile or two back that traffic is stopped ahead. It gives you time to back out of it and prepare to stop.

tucker, G13Tomcat, Hamburger71 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Exactly

My CB is a paper weight, tuning sucks, no good reliable shops in my area anymore to get it correct, so I don't bother, not to mention, I don't speak Spanish, and 75% of the conversations are the dirt haulers rambling in Spanish.

8. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    If I see something on the other side, I usually try to let them know, but in the two years since I've been back on the road, I think I have heard a "thank you" maybe twice. No one listens anymore. My co-driver doesn't listen because he says people make him made and it distracts his driving. I've watched him and he is right. Short temper sort of fella. It doesn't bother me. If someone starts to irritate me I turn it down for about five minutes.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yup. Pretty much. I still do it because I figure even if I don't get a response someone may have heard it and acted accordingly.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Something else I find amusing is once in awhile, I'll try to raise a driver in front of me who has something wrong with his/her truck:
    "How 'boutcha, Reddaway?"
    ---silence---
    "Southbound, Reddaway, you got it on?"
    ---silence---
    "Okay, I guess you don't need to know what's wrong with your truck..."
    "I'm here! What's wrong???"

Yep. True story.

11. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    most have those backup radios anyhow. I use mine a few times a week as this portion of i70 is a crash magnet. 9/10 times I'll get a response and a thank you with info regarding my side of the road. im a company driver in a day cab, but I still see a consistent use for the radio on the road. I run 2500-3k miles weekly mon-fri and its active as hell around here. Indy has a few base stationers that can be heard as soon you hit the loop, they're ALWAYS on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.