Why my CB radio is on all the time, and why yours should be, too

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Same here. Maybe this winter I will.

I am just human and I don't like hearing any comments about any driving maneuver I may pull off.
    If anyone curses or even bad mouths me about my driving, it stays with me the rest of the day. It is not worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 91D250

91D250 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I often have my little Cobra in my pickup on, and I'll give a bear report or say if the local coop is open or not. (If I know, that is). Or maybe just chat a little with some drivers.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Today we have many other sources of "entertainment" then we had yesteryear and these can make the CB an unwanted distraction. Consider cellphone conversations, satellite radio, talk radio, huge personal digital music libraries, podcasts, audio books, etc.

My point is, relegating the CB to a less prominent status was bound to happen and it's not the end of the world.

A lot of technology has also been introduced that does, in many cases, a better job than the CB in informing... Waze, Google traffic, GPS traffic, web-based road closures and construction apps, weather and radar and road conditions apps, etc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    The race card. Conveniently located at the bottom of the deck for easy play. Lol

banders77 Thanks this.
  6. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I'm sure there are still some here that remember before we had CB's,hand signals to other oncoming trucks,remember giving another driver "the wind 'er up",a circular motion with your finger,mean't ,hammer down,no cops going back your way.First CB's in the early 70's were either Johnsons or a Pace 2300,seems like they were the most popular,all 23 channel radios.Was a welcome item in the cab of a truck,to help fight boredom,all we had back then were payphones at truck stops.Everyone was on channel 10 when the CB craze first started,then everyone moved over to channel 19,because all the local Reacts complained,about bleedover onto 9,the emergencey channel.
    But I guess now most CB's chatter has morphed into all the other things the world has turned into today,and not much of it is any good.

Toothpick1 Thanks this.
  7. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Said it before and I'll say it again. Too many people with thin skin who can't just ignore the BS. Never once has that stuff bothered me
    If they don't have a CB, they won't hear the bear report. Duh.

alghazi Thanks this.
  8. snowman1980

snowman1980 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    I'm local driver now company doesn't allow CB radios. I enjoy knowing that still today truckers use the C.B. for used information.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    All too often today, the "information" provided by truckers is either miscommunicated, wrong, bad, outdated, expired, or just plain intentionally false. When you can't trust the information, you're better not having it, and proceed with your own reckoning.

Salad Thanks this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    This is all true, but someone yelling on the radio that traffic is jamming up ahead due to a crash is going to be faster notice than any app.

banders77 Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This is true... In some cases. But I've had Google traffic indicate a traffic jam due to a very recent accident but not a word was spoken on the CB. Besides, that's why we're given vision tests and trained to always be alert and always expect the unexpected.

In dense traffic such as weekend traffic in suburban areas, Google/Waze will indicate traffic problems within 2 minutes of the buildup and/or slowdown and of this, I can attest to because I've seen it.

It's worth noting, that is the very same technology that autonomous cars developers are utilizing to "see ahead and anticipate", and the technology data compilation speed and accuracy is improving every month.

If you want to test this - next time you witness a significant crash in an urban or suburban area or other major road with plenty of traffic volume, immediately pull up Google maps with traffic and notice how the area and direction will almost immediately go from green to yellow and later to red.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.