Why not doing your own repairs will make you go bankrupt.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kay_ray, Apr 1, 2023.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    What is jubal early times ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I do a lot of my own repairs. But I don’t have all the stuff to do full blown suspension work. Or a shop. Or a driveway.

exhausted379 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    As a bare minimum an owner op should be able to handle the basics - grease, oil/fuel filters, air lines and basic electrical repairs. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

5. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You better not have left a can ring on that JD or Brad may pay you an unwanted visit!

exhausted379, Oxbow, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I don't know if paying someone to do your repairs or if always running new equipment is best. But I will tell you what worked for me, I'm old, I'm retired and trucked my whole life almost all as an owner operator. I ran used equipment until 1988 when I bought my first and only new truck, a long legged black pete. I figured I have finally arrived, I will run this truck pay it off and buy new equipment until I'm old. I got the truck paid off, ready to trade it in and I thought what the heck I'll run a few months with no payments. Never had a payment again.

I fell in love with no payments. Trucking and freedom. I ended up putting over 2 million miles on that truck. Doing most repairs myself, in 2m miles there were very few bolts on that truck that I did not have my hands on at some point. I finally tired of the ride and wanted to step up to a unibuilt pete. I went with a 96 because it was one of the last years you could get a mechanical Cat. That 3406C served me every bit as good as my B model. My whole carer was basically been in a pete with a mechanical cat, the last couple years with a 6NZ. I knew pete chassis and cat engines like the back of my hand, for 40 years.

This model of trucking worked for me, I'm retired, debt free. Not rich by any means but very comfortable. One of the biggest motivators for me not having truck payments was my fear of falling off my trailer or an accident. I did not want to be laid up for weeks or months and have the bank come and repo my rig.

I'm certainly not saying this is the only way to be successful, just telling you what worked for me.

7. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I live in a place where every paccar dealer is pretty much crook and try to charge you as much as they can and do everything to not do warranty work. The closest dealer that have a top notch foreman is almost 4 hours away .for me its either work on your #### or dh 4 hours away get a hotel if its major repair and stay there for few days.

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Yes Sir.... I'll try to do better Sir ..lol
    I Appreciate you bringing that to my attention

9. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    And for the new owner ops reading this thread. I never turned a bolt on a semi truck before becoming an o/o. Learned everything from youtube and fellow truckers. The only thing that helped me was curious mind as i am always the "heck if he can do an inframe i can too .might take me double the time and few tries" type of guy. Everything is available online these days so its just the will and the patience thats needed.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I peed in his bushs and left his snow shovel cover in cow crap but there was a bottle of fire ball on the shelf I used some to get the can ring marks off the hood of that shinny JD lawn tractor. I got his neighbor lady drunk and she started telling stories about him .. some of them I found quite interesting maybe even shocking .. I will say this that man cave he built is pretty unique

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2023
  11. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I just visited the spring shop this morning. New springs, hangers, U bolts. Labor. $2700. Is this expensive? I don’t know and don’t care. It’s a spring shop, not a repair shop that does springs. The owner quoted me and also gave me an education about suspension. He was hesitant to replace everything because it may not need it. But I insisted due to my bad luck.

He is even coordinating this with my days off since I usually rent a car to go home. I have no regrets.

31AD0121-31F0-4B4A-92B9-9632FD102531.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.