Why not give us more hours of off duty status?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NewNashGuy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2013

I thought I was going senile or something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Take a nap while being unloaded and eat shower and everything else on ur ten hours.

4. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I pull reefers im always 2 to 3 hours, if not more so i always nap while being unloaded. Then on 10 hour i sleep seven or 8 hours shower and eat. It works for me. If i need to go shopping and under load will plan ahead and get enough usually to weekend where it is slower.

5. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2013

I always liked the times I got my 10's at Mt. Vernon, IL, where I could shower AND walk over to the Wal Mart to do my shopping.

6. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    it want do any good they move on own time. I delivered a load to pactive in temple tx. but I had to shut down there. my DM got me a load to come out of there. the company I work for allow the shipper 4 hours before they start charging detention. I got paid 14hrs of detention at $15hr. I was getting paid to sleep. that week my check was over 1000. but that do suck when you have like 6 hours on drive clock but your 14 say zero. every now and then a shipper/receiver will move faster if you tell them what's up. they don't care because its not them.

7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I can take two days off and get a fresh new 70.... If I take 4 days off I cannot get a fresh 70! Go figure

NewNashGuy Thanks this.
  8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    14 hours a day is enough. You can get a lot done in 14 hours. And if you can't, time to fund a new career. Extending the hours will extend the day. No thanks.

9. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Well it is there for those who need to use it for you tough guys who are complaining about it you can just keep on going. The funny thing is that I am ranked second best driver out of 3000 in my company last quarter so I run harder than all of the trash talkers so even though I run 2800 - 4000 miles per week I would like an extra hour if my clock runs out at the shipper thx. Plus some shippers require you to watch them load or you have to sit and wait in their trucker lounge so you really cannot sleep during that time.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    that's a real smart idea. for company drivers.

11. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I miss the freedom and flexibility of the old rules. A driver could choose to take breaks during the day, and it didn't count against anything. I could take a long, relaxing lunch, and then a nap and/or a shower if I felt like it.
    And when I got back on the road , I had the same number of hours to drive as when I parked.
    Under the old rules a driver still had limitations, but he had FLEXIBILITY in how he used his hours.
    Like many other drivers, I would take a break in the evening , which allowed me to avoid rush hour traffic, and then go drive another few hours after traffic died down.
    Flexibility enabled me to adjust my schedule to drive at what I considered the best times to drive. To drive when I was most rested and sleep when I wanted to sleep.
    I don't like the inflexibility of the current rule.
    I wish they would bring back the ability to split the sleeper break that would extend the 14 (without taking 8 in the sleeper). In other words, two breaks of the drivers choosing, like 5 and 5.

JPenn and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.