Why oh why are you drivers taking this cheap freight????

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Nov 26, 2012.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    IP, your outfit gives you a pretty good piece of the action. The only problem is, they take most of it right back in the lease payment! :p

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    People don't go in business not to make a profit I don't own all these trucks from not making a profit what gets me is in 08-09 when the economy was crashing I still made money now it's even worst

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Why did your insurance jump over 50%?

If there is no reason, find another insurance broker.

5. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    One driver's "Cheap Freight" is another driver's "High Dollar Load"....

Think about it....If you bought a brand new rig for $150K....You depending on your mortgage and other liabilities may have to run for no less than $2.50/M......
    Now the driver with a rig that's been paid-off.....Has no other bills than just operating expenses, can run for a buck a mile and still stay profitable...

Another thing to consider...Cali based ops are punished tax wise if they run 51% or more out of state.....But....As an Op based in Cali....There's no way to run open deck profitable Intrastate.....So I deal with it.....

Now I average $2.50/m on my loads....But I have had my balls busted by some other 'Bedders on this board in the past for running "Cheap Freight"....At $2.50/m......
    :biggrin_25526:

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

I like add to the "punishment" Cali based ops deal with....
    Parking!!!!.....Parking!!!....Parking!!!

Most municipalities in the Southwest counties ban parking for trucks over 5 tons.......

So no parking on your property.....Even where I live...One ton pick-ups if owned by a business, are harassed by Code Enforcement if the truck is parked in the driveway....And the local PD if parked out on the street.....

So then we're basically required to park at RV storage yards...Often at a rental cost that of a Two bedroom apparent... And for ops like me....I'm paying to "Park Air".......Since I'm out for 6 days and off for two every run.....

I live "Down the Hill" from the High Desert where many who originally lived in Chino Valley used to be able to park their rigs....Moved up the "Hill"....But even now municipalities like Oak Hills...Hesparia....Victorville....Pearblossom....Are cracking down on truck parking....Even at the subdivisions......

7. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Same problem I have I pay $700 a month to park my trucks I paid $100 each at the last yard but when lights are taking off your rig and can't leave straps on a load over the weekend it was time to move on

My insurance is going up along with everyone else that uses progressive I'm shopping now if I have to pay $8,800 a year per truck it will be time to lease on with someone I would save $13,k a year per truck in just tags and insurance

8. DMH

DMH Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2012
    That's a lot of money for parking but that's a ton of savings on the insurance.

9. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    the example above is Exactly why you will never see an end to cheap freight!!!!!! for the most part youve had excellent advice here ,,, this aint one of them....

dirthaller Thanks this.
  10. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    If I got rich enough on the "front" haul to take a load that pays $1.10 , then I got rich enough to leave it there!

snowblind Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Working Class Patriot, even a guy with paid for equipment can't run for $1-$1.50 a mile. Mine is and I can't. There is no profit in that, not even break even. Trouble is there are many who think they can but they can't and don't have an honest assessment of TRUE costs per mile.

SL3406 and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.