Why pay for school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jegolopolli, Jan 6, 2012.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    My major and semi major you mean megacarrier BFI's , right ? The ones where newbies last maybe 6 months before starving out . That's really worth spending a few thousand to experience .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thehornet

thehornet Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    3 doors down
    Rick, what is the secret to turning this into a career? Because I want to be honest, there is not much Quit in me.:biggrin_25512:. and i would really like for this to work..

What than is the recipe for success in this industry.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It's NOT with the major carriers . All they care about is keeping expense to a minimum to have competitive rates .
    It takes more searching to find a good company to work for . You may have to start as something other than a driver and be given a chance to drive after you show you are reliable .
    I worked for a company that had the contract supplying boxes to U-Haul . They'd let warehousemen spot trailers around the yard then would put them with a driver for training .
    I've mentioned industrial cleaning companies with vacuum and water blast trucks . Vacuum trucks can load in less than 10 minutes , dump on site , then reload . Many operators don't even have CDL's to start because they stay onsite . These companies are always looking for CDL drivers to move trucks between jobs .
    My niece works for the CT DOT . Because of the need for round the clock help in winter emergencies EVERY CT DOT employee must have CDL . My niece was trained on a DOT dump truck .
    Many municipalities will give on the job CDL training .
    The possibilities are endless for someone taking the initiative to look .

thehornet and U4EA Thank this.
  5. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    I spent 4 years during my high school years backing a manure spreader in the horse barn to clean out the stalls.

6. thehornet

thehornet Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    3 doors down
    i spent 4 years of high school not paying attention and smokin alot of weed..

U4EA Thanks this.
  7. Scott101

Scott101 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    NorCal
    That's pretty much how I started. With a brand new CDL I got a job delivering produce in a class c truck. Within a couple of weeks they had me spotting trailers and taking trucks in for service. Basically the stuff the line drivers didn't really want to do.

In less time then I would have been in a "trainer's" truck, I was out on my own in a line haul truck and didn't even have to do a check ride with the company.

RickG Thanks this.
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    That's the key . You need to be known as a person , not a number . For some people picking up driving skills comes easily . For others they can try all they want and they'll never be a competent driver . The "major" carriers have no interest in any newbie . They are n expendable cost item .
    Small company owners can spot potential in people that have it .

Scott101 Thanks this.
  9. JarrettB

JarrettB Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have a class B CDL with Air brakes, and I want to drive a tractor. I know there are company paid schools out there like England, and Prime, but which one is the best, with the best terms? Every company out there seems like they're all bad! How do you decide? Which one is actually FREE if you commit to their terms?
    Also, do you have to get that insurance? Shouldn't the company you're driving for have insurance?

10. john b

john b Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2011
    midwest
    i got my permit and a couple of endorsments and was thinking of either roehl or prime to take there cdl training,and i thought that i would have to sign a contract to stay at either for a year minimum to pay for there school.but considering lack of driving and backing prior to school who is to say that if your skills are not good they will send you home.but that is worysome to me,butt i dont know if that is exactly how it operates.please advise.
    thanks

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Your concerns are well founded . It happens all the time. The contract is very one sided . These carriers have all kinds of petty rules and policies they can terminate you for violating .
    Can you go a whole year without scratching a fender or popping a tire on a high curb ?
    Far too many people end up on the street and obligated to pay for school .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.