Why ticket the driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by magnum force, Oct 5, 2010.

1. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    This exemplifies a seemingly increasing blame seeking paradigm in current society. Let's face it, living life is not without a little risk. Any time something bad happens, the finger pointing and deep scrutiny for blame appears(not to be confused with harm pre-meditated or intentional).

Must we resort to crucifying someone for an accident?

Being: Accident; noun, 1. an unexpected and undesirable event. 2. Something that occurs unexpectedly. 3. A property or attribute that is nonessential. 4. Fortune. Chance.

Must we seek vindictive retribution for clear "accidents".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Clear accidents? No no blame is needed or assigned ever. However what most would term an accident is no such thing. They are the result of careless decisions that were easily avoidable. Those decisions are what they are held accountable for.

Laziness and inattention to detail cause collisions that people term as accidents.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Maybe to some degree, but not for all of them.

5. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN

Hmm? Self-Righteous perfection anyone? Herein lies the problem... If one maintains the notion that ALL "accidents" are avoidable allbeit by perfection(which obviously doesn't exist).

Then retribution must be the answer. :roll:

6. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

Nope. Said all collisions are avoidable. Accidents are as you stated before.

The problem lies in the classification. Most of what drivers today call "accidents" are in fact collisions caused by negligence of one party or the other. Either the driver hit something or conversely they were hit by something. Neither can be classified as an accident.

Perfection exists until it doesn't. No reason to not attempt it.

Lot's of operators have achieved perfection when it comes to collisions.

I sadly have not. I had a collision with a pipe sticking 12" out of the ground next to a scale five years ago. Since then I have been perfect in avoiding collisions, and will continue to strive to be so.

When one accepts that they are doomed to fail, they have already done so.

Civilservant Thanks this.
  7. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    I disagree, not all collisions are avoidable(even though I've been perfect in this area...with a few close calls). There are just too many variables that can come into play... Perhaps a certain amount of luck/chance is also involved.

When one strives for perfection, they are doomed to fail.

8. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    No one that has millions of miles collision free achieved that because of luck. It is a skill set they practice.

Civilservant Thanks this.
  9. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Not exactly....

I have great skills and it has paid off for a lot of years! I have also been fortunate enough to not be around when bad things happen...But I have been #### close a few times!

Call it skill mixed with luck and decent instinct about certain things but it's definetly NOT all skill!

10. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Does this mean that there are many many drivers with seemingly better skill set practices than yourself(you had a collsion) myself included?

Perhaps you're better suited for another vocation, due to your past collsion/failure. Shouldn't you be held accountable for your past 'avoidable' collision free failure..

Of course, I don't really mean this, and I realize I'm playing devils advocate here...

11. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    I was accountable.

I paid for the damage.

I accepted the responsibility.

The only skill set that matters to me is mine, others can do as they wish. I am not in competition with anyone but myself.

W9 why not put it as your skills and preparation kept you at #### close instead of to close?

Do you leave yourself an out running in traffic? That is a skill.

Do you predict others actions (or attempt to) as being inherently unsafe and remove yourself from their path. That is a skill.

Now yes others could plow into you when parked, or stopped but those collisions would not be your responsibility, luck, or skill. It would be a failure on the other driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.