Why you don't stop on the shoulder!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    10 people involved in McCracken Co. crash on I-24

Semi had a flat tire, and while he was sitting there waiting, people started crashing into him. Get that POS off the road! If you've got duals, drive it. Hell, either way he was heading, there was a safe place to park at the next exit. If you're running stupid singles, drag the ##### thing off the road. A new rim is cheaper than the DOT recordable crash (and the insurance claims to follow)...especially if he was in any way blocking the travel lane and/or didn't yet have his triangles out PROPERLY.

I've seen drivers blow a tire, drive past an exit ramp to stop on the overpass between the get-off and get-on ramps, despite having a perfectly good tire still on that set of duals. STUPID!!! Get yourself out of harms way, and don't ask that tire guy to risk HIS life changing a tire with 70 mph traffic 6" off his backside! Move the #### truck somewhere safe.

And yes, doing so is perfectly legal within the regs. If a defect occurs while en route, you are allowed to continue to the next safe place to have repairs made, provided it is safer to proceed than to stop. §396.7(b) if you'd like to read it for yourself. Now get that POS off the road.

rank, Toomanybikes, Brickwall and 24 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Most people parked on shoulders are just grabbing a drink, chips, watering the tires, ect. I just roll my eyes. Now everyone has to force over to accommodate your dumb ###.

IluvCATS and double yellow Thank this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Oh how I miss the road....

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Wonder if the driver had the safety warning devices out by the time he was starting to attract crashes, or was it one of those target trailers that have the bulls eye on the back? Putting them tri angles out can be quite the chore, grabbing them out of the box with out being hit, then getting to the back of the trailer + 10 feet is insane, then you should put another back a little bit more, then try to get back to first one and replacing it because it is already smashed, heck if it was just a flat on duels I would get to first spot off of road that is safe to find somewhere close by to fix or replace and if close just go slower to that shop, even sitting on side of ramp to pee is dangerous.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I don’t get it, how the heck do people run into parked vehicles?

DSK333, Brucely, p608 and 6 others Thank this.
  7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Look at all the adds from the lawyers going after truckers.

Brickwall and uncleal13 Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I blow a tire, I keep going until a safe place to park. I'll run by a rest area just to park at a truck stop and save the company money on a road call.

9. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I had a Super Single drive tire blow last year on the truck. Fortunately, just a little further was an overpass with extra wide shoulder underneath so I headed toward it with my 4 ways on and had extra room for the tire guy when he showed up.

TripleSix, uncleal13 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Are you serious?

Reread the opening post. Key word in that post is STUPID.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    At night with no lights on?

It’s certainly possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.