Why you don't stop on the shoulder!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Hell, I blew my steer tire not long ago, sidewall blew out, but still holding air, I pulled off, on the next exit, thank God the truck stop was right there! A dual blows, I am not stopping until I can get to a safe spot like a rest area or truck stop. In some cases, the shipper or receiver. We can fix it there in the parking lot. Been there, and done that. No reason to park on the shoulder for one blown tire on a set of duals. Find a get off ramp to inspect and carry on!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If you look at traffic it sometimes moves fast in packs and the first one screws up and they all pile on.

Teivel VP, Justrucking2 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  4. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    23472196_10214396451929750_8778021120797950192_n.jpg 23472952_10214396451889749_5074762257059939604_n.jpg
    This guy worked for us. The cab was was broken free from the frame.I was told he walked away from this accident.

TripleSix, tucker and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m sure he had to change his drawers after that though. :eek:

misterG and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sad, but true story. Back in the day when I was running a dumper, we had a job that we kept dumping loads where ever the job boss needed them. One driver did not have a cb, so one driver flagged him down to let him know where to go. When the driver without a cb stopped, the shoulder crapped out and the truck tripped over in the ditch. Bad thing.
    A couple of minutes later, another driver saw the truck in the ditch and stopped to see if anyone needed help. Yup. Shoulder crapped out and now there are two dumpers in the ditch, on their sides, with most of the load dumped. Hilarious! Turns out, one of the drivers was the boss's nephew! PRICELESS.

tucker Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Had a buddy that drove for TNI that took a hit from a truck going highway speeds. Really messed him up. The back injuries ended his career.

I posted about coming through WythvilleVA one night and how there were hundreds of trucks parked on the shoulder because they ran out of hours waiting for a hazmat spill to be cleaned up. Theres not a lot of parking in that area anyway, and because of that spill, every exit ramp, every entrance ramp, every parking lot was filled.for 40 miles and hundreds of drivers had nowhere to go and they shut down on the shoulders. How in the hell could anyone sleep with their head 3 ft away from the interstate travel?

I know there are many here that think that’s a sign of bad planning and whatever and that people that don’t think the regs are safe are wanting to cheat and break the law, but that’s not necessarily true. It is NOT safe. The goobermint had to make an allotment for my guys because we couldn’t physically find places to pull over for the 30 minute break. I’m not saying elogs are the problem. I am saying that elogs WITH the current HOS cause an unsafe condition when there is a problem. I’ve seen the trucks stopped on the shoulder every time there’s a big accident and the interstate gets shut down. Road gets opened and there’s nowhere to go. The only time any truck should be stopped on the side of the highway is if he lost part of his drive train. Never because of the HOS. Period.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If you've got a flat and there isn't an exit in a mile or two, pull on the shoulder and set up the triangles. Flinging tire debris can kill innocent people, parked trucks kill stupid ones.

If you turn around, its 8 feet away!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Brickwall, DSK333, duckdiver and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    While texting...

10. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Sadly most don't understand this simple concept.. HOS is the problem.. They are not SAFE.

Safe or Legal.. Pick one.. Since most of us choose to stay LEGAL, often at the price of SAFETY. Waking up at 2am because you shut down early to make the appointment early, when you could've SAFELY driven there the night before and gotten there on time.. But you 11/14 or whatever other BS didn't ALLOW you to do so..

I'd advocate for a removal of HOS now that we have accountibility due to the ELOGS.. Or at least heavily loosen them. We should be able to drive/work how we deem safe.. After all we are "professionals". Will there be accidents and deaths? Yes.. They're still happening now as well..

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. WildTxn

WildTxn Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    They're kind of like the joke about the intelligence of some bulldogs.

Got that flat nose from chasing parked cars.

Now I'll have to duck the flak from the bulldog lovers out here. LOL

Brickwall and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.