Why you like Western Star?

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by AlexCarHauler, Nov 25, 2014.

1. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Ok, thought I would ask, as I saw Doug had a couple advertised in another state.
    I have also found that the majority of WS dealers treat you VERY well. I have yet to have to wait to get in a shop more than an hour or so.
    Only bad one I found thus far is the one in Billings. Arrogant for some reason.
    The East Coast dealers really seem to know their stuff, same as the North West dealers. A lot more plentiful in those areas I have found.

Martin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexCarHauler

AlexCarHauler Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    I don't know about all East Coast dealers,but NJ dealers sucks. NJ services very poor,every one use cheap chinese parts and cheap, not qualified mechanics,they fixed evereting,but not the problem. it's why i'm going with new truck

NCTru919 Thanks this.
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    The company I work for has a few Pete 379s, and couple freightliner classics, which I've driven every one of our trucks, there's 15 total. I was running a freightliner until last year, when they bought a pair of 4900ex daycabs (gliders). I won't drive anything else anymore. You can't beat the ride, its a little noisier than the freightliner, but I think that's more due to the motor being an older e model Cat. The freightliner had a 6nz cat. Oh and the dealer support is by far the best I've experienced.

5. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Nice truck! Don't second guess yourself. While I was shopping for a used truck I looked at an older WS and really liked it. There was a ridiculous amount of room in the cab and the sleeper. I really liked how they kept with the "classic" body style but still went with the wide-body cab. With my T600 that I ended up getting, I love the big sleeper but the cab is tiny!!

x#1 Thanks this.
  6. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    I love the 4900ex that i have and it is a 2004.it is the quietest and tightest truck i have driven in a very long time. it is old school due to having to duck going into the bunk but the room is there once i arrive.cab wise,i agree w/flatbed.the room up front is mind boggling.it is just a stout feeling ride.the drop visor on it is a tad too noisy from the wind it seems to not slice through but i can overlook that miniscule gripe considering the feel going down the road.

doesn't turn worth a darn but it is a 268"wb.

congratulations op.

AlexCarHauler and FLATBED Thank this.
  7. jacobr

jacobr Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2015
    That would be because not much goes wrong with them.

8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Alex, I put 800K on a 07 Star carhauler, and we've got 12 of them (2013-15) in the fleet now. Mine was a bit noisy, but it was a 60-series and it didn't have the arctic insulation package. The new ones are Cummins with the insulation, and the only noise is from the side glass where the turbulence from the front posts hits. Having run both Stars and Petes, I think the Stars have more room with the small bunk than the Petes have with the a big bunk. My only real complaint was that the defrost had a hard time keeping the window clear in bitter conditions, due to the large size of the windshield. And the lower overall height is nice, too. Oh, and if you can, spend the money on the cowl-mount mirrors, the door mounts arent the most stable.

AlexCarHauler Thanks this.
  9. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Defrost works better with the sunvisors tilted down some. It deflects the warm air back towards the windshield and traps it there.

Martin

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  10. AlexCarHauler

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Thanks guys! but i still waiting for my truck,dealer was promised me,truck will be done by january 6, now he said by 13-14. ####, i was thinking in new year on new truck,but now, i have to wait :-(

11. AlexCarHauler

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Hammer166, it's your company located in MD?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.