Why you should work for Melton!

Discussion in 'Melton' started by cnjrollin, Oct 30, 2007.

1. cnjrollin

cnjrollin Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Mesquite, TX
    :biggrin_25519:I absolutely love this company - been with them about a year - to get the breakdown on why YOU should work for them, take a few seconds and check this site out:

*Link removed by moderator*
    Great pay. Great miles. An all around Great company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chickenhaller

Chickenhaller Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Pikeville,Tn
    Glad your happy there, but if they will tell ask what their driver turnover is.

4. deeproller

deeproller Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2010
    SW Arkansas
    Turnover is high across the industry. It's 154% for Melton. For CRST it is over 240%. But here's the kicker: even for the LTL portion of the industry, it's high when compared ot other industries. FedEx Freight's turnover rate is 59%. For YRC, the former Yellow-Roadway, it's 44%. Go figure. Apparently high wages is not necessarily how you keep a truck driver; but anyone who's read the work of Frederick Herzberg would know that's true for almost all workers in all industries.

Those numbers, by the way, were in a recent issue of Transport Topics...their umpteenth article on driver turnover in just the last couple of years. And, according to the same article, turnover has only been marginally affected by the recession and lack of jobs in other sectors. In other words, driver turnover is not related, in the general sense, to economic conditions.

Turnover more likely occurs because of the poor management practices of trucking companies; they having the "perfect storm" of crap to put on their driver-employees.

Roscopeco Thanks this.
  5. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Deeproller, I worked for Melton and I now work for an LTL carrier. I can tell you one reason drivers leave the higher pay the LTL carriers offer. Burn out. I work an average of 60 hours a week and it's a constant full speed ahead. In and out of the truck and humping freight as fast as you can go. After three years I am actually considering going back OTR. I work as many hours, I might as well have better equipment and far less pressure.

LostOne9 Thanks this.
  6. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    I don't know nikondvr - I think I would stay LTL, sleep in my own bed at night, weekends off, and make the best of it. I mean afterall you are getting paid by the hour right.

If your tired of the city p&d and missing the road ask your company to put you on a line-haul run.

I know what you mean about LTL because I use to do the same thing. The only reason I left was because my company went out of business. I could have went to a different company but then you have to start back over at the bottom of the boards so I figured I would do something else. Besides, call me crazy but I like having all that work to do! LOL

7. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I know what you mean crazy, but I actually slept better on the air mattress I had in my truck. The mattress on my bed is great for my wife but it kills my back. I don't want to run line haul for my company because I have trouble staying awake after about 0300-0400. That was one reason I ran flatbed. I was able to set my schedule to shut down by 1900-2000 and get up about 0500 and go back at it.

8. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    Well nikon all i can say is go for it then! If you like being out on the road for weeks at a time then Melton should be a pretty good match for you.

I've been talking with Boyd here lately. I think both Melton and Boyd are about the same when you average it out. The only thing I like about Boyd over Melton is the fact that Boyd gets you home on the weekends and is pretty much a regional carrier where as Melton is OTR and you have to be out for weeks at a time.

Good luck which ever way you go! I have heard thru the grapevine that flatbed fr8 is picking up!

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I hope you disconnect the backup beeper.
    I was woke up by one this morning.

Safety guy needs to look outside the box and stop being inconsiderate of other drivers at truck stops.

10. Busted

Busted Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Gloversville, NY
    I guess that just means the whole idea behind the "backup beeper" works then don't it? Got your attention! Please remember, flatbed drivers go to a lot of construction areas. So the more safety the better!

billsgirl Thanks this.
  11. ecs

ecs Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Vernon,Ct
    anyone know TMC turnover rate

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.