wife of a new trucker

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by itafua, Feb 19, 2013.

1. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    you folks have all helped me so much
    i will tell you as his training has gone on it's gotten worse, and i know it's not him-
    right now he's getting about 4 hours sleep a night
    and i am very lucky if i get a text from him even-i know this is got to be driving him nuts

now i thought that drivers by law had to have 10 hours off daily, but i don't understand the 34 hour (or whatever it is) restart either

i was trying to text him throughout the day with little things that go on at home, so later during down time he could go over things-make him laugh, send him pictures...but he doesn't even have time to scroll through them so i stopped

now i am just concerned that he may not survive the training!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    ok that's funny...... that cracked me up
    hahahahaha

4. n9mxq

n9mxq Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Belvidere, IL
    10 hours off a day. How much you sleep is up to you. 34 hour reset when your 70 hours runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk thingamabobber.

itafua Thanks this.
  5. Mattress Monkey

Mattress Monkey Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Dont stop sending him texts that will give him comfort when he does get a chance to read them.

itafua Thanks this.
  6. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    from what i am seeing is he's got paperwork to do and then sleep but he's only getting about 5 hours off somehow

(he texted me but no phone call)

i am editing this to ask.... when does the 70 hours run out then? see he understands this, and has tried to explain it but maybe it is way beyond me
    from what i can see...... they run 7 days a week.....before sun up to after midnight from what i can see, 600 miles a day giver take a few, with stops for fuel and potty breaks.... see how i am confused? if the trucks don't go over 62 mph.... then the math doesn't work for me, that would equal almost 10 hours of straight driving.... what about traffic? fuel? eating? crazy weather?

i'm sorry to be stupid about this but i don't get it

i know when he was home i tried to not let him do much cause i wanted him to sleep and to eat real food cause i was so worried

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    ok, i did stop because i figured he wasn't having time to read them all why give him any more pressure

i did answer his of course- his little fur baby has survived, so today i am going to send him pictures of her as she doesn't look like the dead anymore thankfully

i was sending him all sorts of stuff, photos of the snow in the yard, photos of his favorite supper (it's in the freezer now for him)
    our pets, all stuff like that from home
    and just little short things about the stuff going on (like the snow drops are up in the yard)
    "yes i did gas up the car'

but mixed in where really important stuff too that i couldn't reach him to tell him
    we even had a couple of spats through text (all related to his not being able to call home at least once a day)
    i swear i can't wait until this is all over
    and i know he can't either

he kept telling me while he was home 'it's almost over'
    but he did NOT want to get back in that truck

now i got two fast texts from him just after midnight last night, nothing so far today
    i highly doubt that i'll hear from him by phone
    we are now counting down days for this to be over

and i have to thank every single one of you folks that posted a reply to me, you all don't realize how much you helped me and in turn him and i am going to make him READ this thread when he gets home next time- i wish i had asked you all when he FIRST went into the otr training, as he would have then been able to see these replies (when he got home time)
    and then got a different trainer

8. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    oh the other thing i did do, was i tucked in little notes and stuff into his clothes and his luggage before he left for training and before he went back out so that randomly he would find them, in a pair of socks, in a pocket etc
    hugs from home..... he said that they helped him a lot (and he saved them all)
    i didn't know what else to do

9. Mattress Monkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Just stay strong when he heres from you reinforce the idea that he is on the road because it is what is needed to support you and the kids if he hears in your voice that you support him wnd his efforts it will make him feel better.Nothing breaks my heart more than hearing my wife cry swying she misses me over the phone. Its what I have to do to pay the bills.I tell myself everday 4 more yrs my youngest will be 18 and momma comes with me whoohoo. Till that day...

itafua Thanks this.
  10. itafua

itafua Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    NEPA
    we don't have children, except for the animals but i have told him, if he wants to not do this....we will manage
    (we will)
    so if he finds he really isn't cut out for this
    he can do something else, we will manage one way or another
    (that's my job)

11. Mattress Monkey

Feb 1, 2013
    I know you must love your animals but I would leave the animals and take my wife as soon as I could

itafua Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.