will 6 months experience get me a better job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Keepitzenn, Jan 1, 2017.

1. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    I would turn in the truck and go company. When you have a breakdown that 700 a week is gone...

How much do they pay for having a student on the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You hate to see these type posts. Not judging, not trying to a buster or anything...just frustrated.

1. DUI
    2. Rookie in a lease gig.
    3. $600 paycheck for 3200 miles.
    4 "I'm def gonna be a trainer in 3 months they make good money"

Arrrrghhhh!!!!!!! (okay, I feel better now)

Mr @Keepitzenn, do you want a better job or do you want better money? A better job doesn't automatically mean better money? I'm going to say something that's probably going to hurt your feelings, but that's actually not my intentions because I'd rather see you make better money. If you do get pissed about what I say, go ahead and click on my name and find the IGNORE tab and ignore me.

You don't know what you're doing, simple truth. You think you do, but you don't. Your taking about 78000 lbs, and fuel economy and whatnot. And you're saying that TA is screwing you. If you're not forced dispatch, they can't be screwing you. Did they sit you down and show you the numbers and explain to you how you were to be paid, (be it mileage contract or percentage)? If they did, they are not screwing you. On the loads they offer you, are they showing the info on the loads? In particular, the weight of the load? If the weight is fairly accurate, they are not screwing you.

"But Six, I am not making money!"

That's YOUR fault! You're the one picking the loads! You're the one that agreed to the rates, you're the one that signed the contracts. You can't just hold the steeringwheel and expect to be successful if you're paying for the truck. If that's what you want to do, stay a company driver.

One more thing...if you are thinking that becoming a trainer is the best way to make money, you're deceiving yourself. If you have to be a trainer to make a decent paycheck, you shouldn't be training as you don't know enough about the business to train anyone.

"But Six, my trainer..."

Pulled ONLY light loads. Your words. You're not doing what he done.

Kyle G., pattyj, ZVar and 9 others Thank this.
  4. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Step 1) Sign lease.
    Step 2) ????
    Step 3) Profit!

That DUI is gonna hold you back for sure. You could always put out feelers while still working for TA. Err, I mean, being your own boss.

5. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused. You made $710 before taxes? What taxes? If you're leasing, they don't take taxes out of your settlement.

As far as not making money.......how much fuel did you buy?
    at what price?
    what was your fuel economy?
    Do you get mileage or % pay?

Too vague and from the few posts you made, definitely clueless. Not trying to be mean, but it is what it is.

alghazi Thanks this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Their screwing you? They hold a gun to your head to sign that contract. WTF! 78k! What did you think a Mega carrier pulls around; Daisys and cotton candy?

$800/3200 = $.25CPM: a wage you could get just about anywhere, even with your bad record. And chances are you are like just about every other fleecer and are not counting tax deductions or maintenance in that wage. Once those are accounted for your making $0.

Oh, yeh, you bought the line "if you get good milage (MPG) you can really make money as a fleecer." That tells me flat out you did not put the least bit of thought, let alone calculation into this "business decision."

Buster or not, I will give you the best advice you are going to get. Dump that lease now; their is no hope. Call it a life lesson and sign on with any other company that will take you as a driver.

pattyj and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Hang on......lemmie get the contact info for the pre-inflated balloon account that pays $2.68/mile with a guarantee of getting paid 3500 per week.

Geesh. I'm just shaking my head at the excuse you're giving for not being profitable (or as profitable as you'd like)

Most of us haul at least that uphill both ways with a 40 mph head wind.

88 Alpha and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  8. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Lord, where do I start...
    Ah, never mind, it wouldn't make any difference.
    What was it Ron White said you couldn't fix...?

TROOPER to TRUCKER and TripleSix Thank this.
  9. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I just facepalmed myself so hard I now have a headache.

88 Alpha, bluerider, ZVar and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Right. I need an old priest and a young priest and a whole box of goody powders myself.

TROOPER to TRUCKER and alghazi Thank this.
  11. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I would say you could do better but I would stick out for at least 6 months. And me personally. I don't understand the lease when you can be company and not have to worry about the truck maintenance and make just as much money. Last week I was home all weekend for Christmas. Left home Tuesday morning at 5 am, and was back home Thursday at lunch. Stayed home Thursday night and ran short 300 mile run Friday and was back Home Friday night and made more than 700. So yeah I would definitely be looking elsewhere as quick as possible

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.