Will a "Failure to provide proof of insurance" suspension keep me from getting a job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Evillicia, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Evillicia

Evillicia Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    I only have one ticket in the last 10 years but I do have a suspension on my drivers license for "failure to provide proof of insurance to BMV." Will this affect me getting a job when my MVR is pulled?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It might, but it's probably not a deal-breaker at every (or even most) carriers. Some get all anal-retentive about *any* suspension, but most will review what it was for. You can't let it happen again, while you're working, though, because they can't let you drive when you are under suspension... so pay your insurance on time, from now on...!

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    No, just make sure you list it if the information is asked for. A suspension for a non moving violation like insurance is not a major thing PROVIDED you have fixed the issue!

Evillicia Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The question I would ask is did you have insurance but did not have proof you had insurance on you?

crb Thanks this.
  6. Evillicia

Evillicia Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    You think FedEx Freight would be picky about it? I have been a dockworker there for 3 years and wanting to go through their driver apprentice program. No one I ask seems to know the policy exactly. They just say you must pass a mvr check according to hiring standards. But who knows what the "standards" are until it's ran I guess..

7. Evillicia

Evillicia Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    I just got a random letter from the BMV saying I needed to provide proof of insurance (which had lapsed). I hadn't even been pulled over recently..so there's no moving violation that even went along with it. But my license got suspended for 3 months and I paid a $1000 reinstatement fee and have to hold SR22 insurance now.

8. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FedEx is not especially rigorous. Their central qualifier is that they like to hire drivers from within their non-driving ranks. I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you about it, but more surprised if they disqualified you for it - assuming that you took care of it, and that you are now properly insured, and can show proof of that upon request.

Evillicia and crb Thank this.
  9. Azkul89

Azkul89 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    There's companies out there that will hire convicted murderers and drug dealers so I don't think it'll be too much trouble.

10. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Sounds like you were already suspended before that and mandated to hold SR22. The DMV is notified by your insurance carrier when your policy lapses and it's an automatic suspension [with notification by mail] and a restart of the 2-year period in which you must hold the SR22 policy.

I was there before too with the FMFR ticket and suspension. Generally companies look for a 3-year period of no suspensions, even if they require a 10-year employment and MVR check.

I was hired with the suspension and apparently insurable even though it hadn't been 2 years since the suspension.

Some companies may be more strict though.

11. Ghriszly

Ghriszly Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2017
    I have one of these and more and werner hired me. Youll be able to find something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.