will a ltl co. hire me

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 79tkx, Dec 8, 2012.

1. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Im a full time firefighter, 45 yrs old, ready to retire, wanting to go to a good ltl co. Full time, I have a class a cdl, i have 10 years exp. Driving,, for a local truck repair shop, I shuttle trucks ,trailers to and from our two shops, we do work for every major .ltl carrier in town. My mvr is spotless, I have my doubles endosement, getting my hazmat, I want to start applying to these places this spring, a year or so ago I was approved to drive for fed ex ground, however i didnt take the job,, I would like to run linehaul, I dont mind being gone for a few days at a time, as im gone every third day now plus a part time job, do you guys think a good ltl outfit will hire me, and can I make $ 45000 a year doing it, im making a major career change here, but i love driving and i know what im getting into, money is the big thing, i cant make less than i do now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    This time of the year is not prime hiring time however i would definitly start leaving applications . The thing about LTL besides knowing someone who works for the outfit is "right time at the right place"

4. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Ok,i know most of the terminal managers,we do work for, usf holland,,con way,abf,yrc,old d,saia,vitran,fed ex, I pull their stuff everyday , I dont have alot of doubles exp. But i have built sets, and pulled them, im just wondering if you guys think i have enuf exp. To get hired on ? I have had a cdl for 15 + years,did some otr a long time ago, but all I have in the last 10 years is my part time shuttle job, thanks

road_runner Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, an LTL company will hire you. Put in applictions.

6. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Ok, thanks !!! Ill be putting in aps soon !!!

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    For heaven sake, you've got your foot in the door already. Use those contacts to your advantage. If you have not been developing them as you go along, start now. It is usually a lot easier to get a job someplace where you are known.

(Of course for some folks, that might make it harder. . .):biggrin_2559:

OBTW, you are 45 and getting ready to retire.:biggrin_25522::biggrin_25522:

I had to wait until I was fifty. . .:biggrin_25523:

8. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah i know, i have 20 years at the fd, kinda getting tired of it, actualy been on the dept. Since 1986, gonna go early and do another 20 in a truck, firefighting is a young mans game !!! Very hard on knees !!! I know i have alot of great contacts, and i will use that to my advantage, i was just worried that my local only exp. Would be a problem ? Im not looking to start till spring, so im gonna go for it ! Thanks for the encouragment !!!

9. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    All of the terminal managers like me, i just have not approached any of them yet, i was still trying to decide witch ones i would enjoy working for ?

10. 79tkx

79tkx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    My list so far, based on my exp. The last ten years, abf,old d,estes,saia, maybe fed ex ?

11. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    If you work full time at a LTL and your at top pay you should make over 80 k

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.