will a regional limit my future potential hire ability?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeepSouthRollin, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DeepSouthRollin

DeepSouthRollin Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    I understand paying your dues in the first year, but......
    Will going local or regional hurt my future?
    I am of the understanding that ALOT of companies later in my career are looking for that 1 year OTR.
    One friend ex-trucker tells me that they would only be interested in your miles without accident.
    And also, why would companies pay more for regional right out of the gate VS OTR,
    where you are sacrificing being away from home?
    Doesnt add up to my thought process...........

ghostcookie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    as long as you stay in class A vehicles pulling trailers and can be verified. then you will be okay.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you want to go local, go local. You do not have to go OTR. Will it hurt you in the future? Nope. Not at a decent company. The boss will ask you if you can drive and they will have you do a short road trip to confirm. As long as your MVR is clean, you will be able to find work.

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to join the mega carrier circus and do stupid pet tricks.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What is your long term goal? Your short term goal ( 2 or 3 years}?
    You need to spell those out for yourself first.

Landstar or Mercer, and probably the other better companies, especially fuel haulers, require OTR experience with verifiable winter driving experience.
    Regional counts as OTR.

If you do local that's where you're going to stay unless you start over for a year with a mega carrier.

Companies are paying more for regional drivers right now, because that is what they need to fit their business model. E log did that, you'll find yourself relaying a lot of stuff.

So, again, sit down, look at the wide world of trucking, and figure out where do you want to work in 2 or 3 years.

6. DeepSouthRollin

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    ok, but how is it that ( what I am finding ) the regional jobs are paying more than the OTR jobs?
    That one to me is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma

7. DeepSouthRollin

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    Thanks, Dave in AZ,
    for clearing that up....
    I knew there had to be a reason !
    FOLLOW THE MONEY

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, a regional or even a local won't limit your future; those days ended several years ago.

DeepSouthRollin and motocross25 Thank this.
  9. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Not to be a wise ### but how do you mean? If a regional job pays .50 cpm and you get 1,600 miles a week but a OTR nationwide position pays .45 cpm and you’re crankin down 3,000 miles +, I’d take the job that “pays less”. When looking for a job don’t be blinded set on CPM offered. Try to feel out what kind of miles their drivers are getting, their freight lanes, and the freight hauled. And how they operate. If they say you can expect for instance 2500 or more miles a week and it’s all drop and hook that’s probably legit. If they are reefer and do anything with meat and it’s live unload & load everywhere and they tell you to expect 3,000 miles a week and home every weekend, I’d politely tell them the next sound they’re going to hear is a phone hanging up.

DeepSouthRollin Thanks this.
  10. DeepSouthRollin

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    yep, that makes sense
    Thanks motocross25

motocross25 Thanks this.
  11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    The pay should not be only tied to miles ran, most do way more work than sitting in that seat, do you get paid for finger printing the load the same as lumpers make? Look at more than sticking miles on.

DeepSouthRollin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.