Will I be able to choose between regional and 48 state?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by snowbird_89, Oct 6, 2010.

  1. CarolinaCatJack

    CarolinaCatJack Light Load Member

    238
    87
    Mar 23, 2010
    Travelers Rest, SC
    0
    I got a call from Werner earlier this afternoon. The recruiter told me that I could choose OTR or regional right off the bat. I told her I was doing OTR, but I didn't want any part of the NE. She said that was fine, but if I chose OTR, it would be a year before I could request regional. Fine by me. I prefer to run OTR for a year or more anyway. The bank account's looking a little puny. Now for my next trick..... I'm gonna request a long-nose Freightshaker. Let's see if I can pull THAT rabbit outta the hat....
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Teaforone

    Teaforone Light Load Member

    200
    70
    Nov 16, 2008
    In the Sandhills, NC
    0
    If you get Eastern Regional you will go to the northeast. I was on it when I was hired back in June and was in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania a lot. Mosty I found myself always in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Guess those are the heavy freight lanes for Werner.

    OTR or Regional you will see the northeast.
     
  4. CarolinaCatJack

    CarolinaCatJack Light Load Member

    238
    87
    Mar 23, 2010
    Travelers Rest, SC
    0
    I don't think I wanna go eastern regional. I can handle everything except NY and MA. OTR, here I come....
     
  5. Retired In Nevada

    Retired In Nevada Bobtail Member

    22
    2
    Jan 5, 2009
    0
    I have pre-hires from Swift and Werner. I was all set to go with Werner until I called a recruiter this morning to ask a few questions. During our conversation, she told me that after 6 - 8 weeks on a trainer's truck, I might have to drive team in all 48 states. This would occur if no western regional accounts are available after the mentoring period.

    As I live in Nevada, until now, Werner recruiters always told me that I would run solo 11 western states regional once off the trainer's truck.

    I called back later to ask a different recruiter to validate what the first recruiter told me. The second recruiter said that there's a 90% chance that I would get solo 11 western regional and 10% chance that I would have to drive team, which would happen only if there are no openings in the 11 western.

    As I have zero interest in team driving, this is a Werner show-stopper for me -- even with only a 10% chance of team driving being my only choice with Werner.

    It's too bad because until this morning, I had a pretty favorable impression of Werner and was ready to commit to them. Now I am disappointed as currently, my only other option is Swift, and I don't have a very favorable impression of Swift.

    So noobs, if you don't want to drive team, be very careful before signing on with Werner.
     
  6. Teaforone

    Teaforone Light Load Member

    200
    70
    Nov 16, 2008
    In the Sandhills, NC
    0
    You may be on to something. I was taking my quaterly CBT and they had an advertisement touting switching to Team Driving for Werner.
     
  7. KDuBB

    KDuBB Bobtail Member

    44
    3
    Oct 15, 2010
    Inverness,fl
    0
    when i got pre-hired they said i would be team 48, didint like the idea but i got the pre-hire like 2 weeks b4 i was done with school and still had other options so i called and talked to them b4 i left for orientation told him i didint like teams, he said no prob i have an opening in 48 solo, and here i am..depends on who you talk to and what is happening, alot of the office peple are D'baggs but some of em are pretty helpful..also i talked to 2 different people, the first being the person who contacted me and the second being the person i contacted, maybe that was the difference? maybe they had different goals to fulfill?
     
  8. Redclay

    Redclay Bobtail Member

    43
    4
    Oct 16, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    0
    they told us they will hire you up to two years out of cdl school. you can do almost any spot you want right out of training. the pony express is for after you show you can be on time. time off is 1 day for 1 week. however you can take off days with out pay when you want. no, they dont like it but you can. this time of year they want the dedicated doller general people and 48. oh, 48 is not for just teams but it does better if you are. they like JT loads. teams can run 6k+ a week easy. and you split the money and you got what you would by yourself. if you teach, you get better pay.
     
  9. Powder Joints

    Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

    6,952
    6,365
    Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    0
    12 to 34 hours. At best. OTR is not the job for you if you even think you want a home life right away.

    If you can hang tough for a year or two it will make it easier to get a job where your home alot more,and maybe make better money to boot.
     
  10. KDuBB

    KDuBB Bobtail Member

    44
    3
    Oct 15, 2010
    Inverness,fl
    0
    i never understood teams, unless you like brand new brokestars theres really no incentive for me, have to share a truck with some other dude/ and split my money so ide make the same as if i were on my own?? no thanks:)
     
  11. wernerbud

    wernerbud Bobtail Member

    15
    1
    Oct 17, 2010
    columbus, ohio
    0
    U will get regional only but regional only means lower pay and u will run 48 states. 48 states pays the same for loaded unloaded and bob tail regional only pays 15 cents a mile unless u are under a load
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted