Will Own My Truck Free and Clear Sept. 8th…advice sought

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 48Packard, Mar 29, 2023.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I’m paying my truck off as the thread title indicates. Here’s the skinny though I myself am not:

I’ll be a few months from 63 in September and I’ve got perhaps two years driving left max. I will be debt free, including having no rent or mortgage (though I may own a rental property, yet to be determined). I do not need to make every dollar possible and have no desire to burn my clock out every five or six days. I’ll be “home based”, such as it is, in the Carolinas.

However, having just lost my mom last October, I still want to get to SoCal three or four times a year to see my dad (who turns 85 today). So, flexibility and a relative degree of freedom is of paramount importance. I do not at this stage of my life want to pursue my own authority. And to be honest, if I just decide “da heck wit it”, be it six months or two years beyond September 8th, I’ll have the option to sell and walk into the sunset.

I’m leased on to Schneider at present. My biggest issue with them is getting west (at least to Phoenix) with freight. I make enough money and their operating center network is a bonus. But I’m wondering if there are better options to suit my needs.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Fly to Cali from Phoenix…?

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’d say find something you enjoy doing, and if that’s what you’re currently doing just stay there. Then just take time off and fly to CA like suggested. I would think Schneider has terminals in cities that would get you cheap flights out west.

5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Stay where you are. Schneider is already offering you everything you want, why change now to start over somewhere new. Find loads that will take you to OC locations that have cheap air fare to Cali.

77fib77, JoeyJunk, 48Packard and 3 others Thank this.
  6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Couldn’t agree more...living in and runnin outta Fl most of my life..,My last 2 trucks were registered and titled in Fl and never saw the state

JoeyJunk and 48Packard Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Where's the Packard?

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  8. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Good job,maybe aim for Salt Lake OC and fly to Cali from there.

JoeyJunk and 48Packard Thank this.
  9. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    The picture kind of looks like a Jaguar..

Numb, JoeyJunk and 48Packard Thank this.
  10. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am sorry to hear that you mom passed. Congratulations on being debt free!!!! I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

JoeyJunk, 48Packard, Cat sdp and 2 others Thank this.
  11. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I’m leaning towards staying put, but wasn’t sure if I was overlooking a company that might have freight to make it easier to get to Phoenix, for example. At Schneider, it’s difficult to get to the southwest from where I’m based. Sometimes there are loads headed in that direction, but they’re few and far between.

bzinger, JoeyJunk and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.