Will self-driving trucks be an issue for truckers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Steven42000, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Steven42000

Steven42000 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Hello everyone, for the past few months I have been trying to make my mind up about weather or not I would like to start a career in trucking. Last night was told by a person that vehicle automation could be a real threat to the job in the near future. Please keep in mind this person has never set foot in a truck and knows even less about the industry but never the less I feel it's a good question. Are there any professional truckers out there who have any input on this matter, good or bad?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The first jobs to go will be ltl or warehouse to warehouse drivers... Otr is along ways away imo .. The places we have to go can be comical sometimes id love to see a robot try to get into some of these places in the northeast probably will burst into flames as soon as it shows up to the guard shack... I tell ya i wouldnt mind havin a autopilot mode on some interstates like 1-8 from cali to phx , i think something like that could happen since that is very open road and little traffic but any city driving i doubt a robot could handle the #### us driver have to put up with day in and day out maybe 30 years they will make something worthwhile but i think they should make a gps that works properly before trying to make a robot truck

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i do not "see" automation being any risk factor. seriously...

the only "per chance" of automation will be OTR applications with a driver still in the truck.

no way, no how, will automation take over city driving in all urban areas of the country.

so relax, go and get your CDL, then get some on the job experience, and be a job hopper.....

it's the American way....

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I can't ever see a load of chemicals, fuel, monster over size equipment, local where it's all tight and different, crowded, ever being automatic.

Love to see an auto cement mixer or food service.

TravR1, QuietStorm, Lav-25 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Wait til the kids start throwing dolls and maniquens in front of them LOL.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    would you say then that a food-mixer driving on a cement road is a possibility..???

TravR1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Remember the model A Ford stage In automobiles.

Google the tesla car doing 70+ watching Harry Potter movie.
    (car never saw truck)

Uber car accident (never saw girl pushing bike across street)
    The list is long.

Driverless trucks will not be any time soon.

Trains are automated, people still Feel weird riding in a train without a driver not to mention freight trains.......

Just some pennies of thought left on the ground.

SilverBulletBand and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Don't get me started on the girl that was murdered by the auto cab.

I'm done. No worries. Not going off the res.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Return on investment for trucking school is very fast.

Even if school is $5000 and you can save only $250 a week you will have broken even in 20 weeks. It's relatively easy to get into a $1000/week job fairly quickly in trucking. And even higher than that a lot of times.

D.Tibbitt and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Steven42000

Steven42000 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks for all the helpful input so far. I kind of figured I would get these responses due to the fact that driver less cars are not very reliable in their current state much less a driver less truck that weighs 80,000 pounds pulling around tens of thousands of dollars in cargo especially if the load is over-sized or hazardous materials. I could only imagine one wrong move in traffic or bad weather could have disastrous consequences. Most of the articles I read on the topic where written by people who probably have never even set foot inside a big tractor trailer let alone know what goes into operating one safely. Never the less I thought it couldn't hurt to ask people in the industry be for I commit to a career. Trucking has been in my family for over twenty years and I would love to pursue it. I gave the "college experience" a try a while back and I was very disappointed with it I was even more put off when I found out the field I was studying for didn't pay all that much unless you were on the top of the food chain in a company and we all know how unlikely that is unless you know someone or have an unfair advantage not available to everyone. The total cost for an education ranged anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 dollars... the starting pay was anywhere from 15.00 to 20.00 dollars and hour. After such an investment that didn't sit right with me personally. Keep the honest input coming I greatly appreciate it thanks again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.