Will this affect my record/CVOR? First incident.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Rayzala, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    I was backing in my company's yard, I had a trailer with barn doors so I came out to open and latch the doors. I always pull on the barn door to make sure it's actually hooked but that didn't help this time. When I backed in, the right-side barn door unlatched from the hook and swung open, I didn't realize until I heard a louder noise than usual when I backed in. I go to the back and see that the right side barn door is pushing into the loading door of the warehouse, so I basically took the door out (the trailer door is fine though - it was one of those metal containers).

Two of the supervisors tried to assure me that this wouldn't go on driver's abstract/CVOR, saying 'the only way it will go on your record is if the police show up' 'its on private property and our deductible is $5000 so it won't go through insurance' but they want me to fill out a incident report 'for internal purposes', they even tried to get me to continue my shift but I literally was sick to my stomach so I came home.

I just got my license in November 2018 and am terrified this is going to screw up my future. Is it true that this won't go on my abstract/CVOR if the cops don't show up and fill out a report?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Nope dont worry, if they had to report it would screw up their cvor as well. The thing is that if you were going to work for another company you might as well be honest because your previous employer would tell them if asked about any incidents. Im speaking from experience.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  4. HELLBENTDENT

HELLBENTDENT Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Edmonton Alberta
    Just part of the learning curve driver....I always used to hook a bungee cord to hold the door if the ground was uneven and especially with seacans - which always seem to have either a piece of wire cord or rope thats too long to secure the door properly....
    S@#T HAPPENS.....drive on !!

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  5. HELLBENTDENT

HELLBENTDENT Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Edmonton Alberta
    a door is nothing...be glad it wasn't another truck or trailer.
    then ya got a real reason to be TERRIFIED !!
    if you still get nervous - ask for a spotter or get out and check if you're not confident...
    shiny side up driver..everybody's been there

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Get some bungee cords to use on container doors those things unlatch way too often

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  7. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    Yeah I figured that'd be the case. I wouldn't lie about it, it'd be a lot worse if they found out from them instead of me being honest.

That's a good idea, my supervisor also suggested this after it happened. I'm going to be so paranoid now that's not going to be enough. I'm thinking of ordering a wireless baby camera that I'm going to put in the back of the trailer when I open the doors to back. Looking on amazon right now.

Definitely thankful it wasn't that, or in another company's yard.

8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    You should always be able to see down both sides of trailer before snugging up to a building, if you cant, pull ahead and straighten out until you can. Also, never, ever, no way, not happening, nope nope, do not trust the inadequate at best door securing systems on barn - door trailers.
    Just sayin'.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.