Will trucking work for me?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Dog Father, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dog Father

Dog Father Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I live near I-95 & I-10 in FL, so I'm considering trucking. Currently, I'm
    underemployed and was on disability for about three years. I have a
    back injury and the two past occupations (stock broker and computer tech support), have hit the skids. Yeah, I know the market is coming back, but I want to make an honest living:mrgreen: . I have to take pain meds for the back injury(obtained by prescription). I went to college and have a lot of business experience. So, I guess the questions I have are:

Is there any company, who prefers a college educated drivers?

Will a company hire a person, who has to take pain meds everyday?

Should I tell them about the meds and disablity? In the past I have always told employers what they wanted to hear! Just like employers have done to me! :smt023

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i'll try my best here

as long as you can successfully graduate from trucking school, a college degree isn't required. this may make you "over qualified" in fact. you may be able to obtain an office position such as assistant manager or dispatcher once they see your college degree.

yes, as long as they are indeed prescribed from a doctor, but.....there may be some limitations to some meds, what those limitations are, i can't say for sure.

well..........to hide something like any disability may open the door to you getting fired when they find out. on the other hand, sometimes they will turn you down, but find "something else" as a cause for that, so as not to seem like they do not have an "open hiring policy" towards people with disabilities..............this is certainly a tough one for an exact answer.

i would try to pursue an office job at a trucking company, as this way, you are not operating "heavy equipment" as may be some of the warnings on your medication labels. an office job at one trucking company can be transfered to ANY trucking company if one should go bankrupt in the future.

4. Cymerax

Cymerax Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Just my .02, but if you look at the label on your meds, and it has a warning that goes something like, "Do not drive or operate heavy equipment. May cause drowsiness. etc." then that would probably be a no-go. Makes sense anywho....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.