Wilson antenna shafts

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BTShepp, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore

Thank you for the reply. Always appreciate the information you post on this forum, I learn a lot. Fortunately, I deliver to the same half dozen places day after day and face no obstructions. I’m in a Mack Pinnacle steel body. Next month, I’ll have a new Mack Anthem. I know a longer shaft puts some stress on that mount but it can’t be anymore that one of those big open coil setups. I ran a k40 for a few weeks. I dug the transmit and receive-it was excellent but the hum and the gaudy look was too much for me. I’m a simple man. Gimme a cobra 29 and a good antenna and I’m good.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore

Nice setup. Are you running a heavy duty stud there? I’ve got the Wilson gumdrop but I’ve got a firestik heavy duty stud around somewhere. How does that do with that 3” spring? I’d think a big barrel spring might keep it from moving around at highway speed. I had a 5” shaft Wilson 2000 with a ground plane on a 3” spring and it moved a bit on the road.

4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Forget the spring bs just use a heavy duty stud..Bigger the better..Seeing your goin taller i would look for a heavier duty antenna bracket as well...With the stud,dont get any of that chrome cover crap..

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  5. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I won’t need a spring these days. Not in a transfer dump anymore in the mountains. If I can pull off an 18” shaft without spending $40 on the k40 mmm max mount...

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I couldn’t tell you about the bracket mount. I have had it since back in the day when I had a set of Audio Kings. Yup..... back in the early 80’s. That’s how long I have had those mounts and spring. I have another one in the tool box. They don’t make them like they use to. When I had the SWR check after i put the 18” shaft, the antenna guy wanted me to sell him the mount and spring. Told him .... no can do.....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Air Cooled Thanks this.
  7. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    I need a longer shaft. Can I piece together two different length or do I need one solid long shaft?

I was able to some how hear Mr Natural 313 from IL all the way in Malvern AR. I immediately called him and asked for info to get a radio from him. Spoke for a bit and he advised me to get my coil high, so that's what I'm doing.

8. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I’d think it would be better to get a solid shaft? Just make sure that mount and stud are strong. I’m putting on a firestik heavy duty stud on my Wilson gumdrop mount. They also have a heavy duty k40 mount with Allen bolts on eBay for under $20.

BlackThought Thanks this.
  9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I cant speak with any level of authority or experience, but Ive seen setups where the driver has had two 10" shafts joined together on a Wilson 2000 Trucker, and when asked about it he said the SWR was good , like 1.2, on a Cascadia mount.

BlackThought Thanks this.
  10. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Air Cooled is probably right, I do know that Wilson does sell a 18" shaft for the 2000 and 5000 antennas, last time I was at cb shop in Richmond Hill Ga, next to TA , Bob had some, if you by chance travel up and down I 95.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I picked up my 18” shaft from Amazon for $20.00.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.