Window tint law possible change

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Ridge I'm sure that you are up on what the laws are, but can you explain this to me?

I thought that the FMCSA sets out a minimum standard that the states have to abide by. I thought that the states can have their own rules that go beyond that but the FMCSA is the absolute minimum.

Or are you saying the state can only issue a ticket like that if your truck is registered in that state?

Humblepie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Fmcsa sets minimum standards the states can be more stringent. And if you are operating in that state you are subject to their laws. Doesn’t matter where you are domiciled.

4. DeereRunner97

DeereRunner97 Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    I know this is an old thread, but I got popped for my window tint in Wisconsin at the scale house on I-39 and US-52 yesterday. The reader said it was 18.5. I bought the truck used so I can’t tell you what the tint really is. My question is, since you got a verbal warning this year, @86scotty have you had any issues? I’ve ran this truck for over a year and this is the first time someone said anything to me.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Nope, no further problems. I haven't had a level 1 since then though. I carry my doctor's note and I always roll down my windows going through scales, even at night, even in the rain.

DeereRunner97 and PE_T Thank this.
  6. jbob1

jbob1 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    A year or so ago we had a retired pa dot cop speak at a safety meeting and I remember him saying they would suspect u were rolling down ur windows because of dark tint, they ain't stupid even though we all like to think we can outsmart them

7. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    2012 rule was latest could find.
    The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has confirmed to the International Window Film Association that window tinting is permitted on commercial motor vehicles. ... It also had published guidance that said trucks can use “clear” window films as long as at least 70 percent of the normal light is transmitted.

8. DeereRunner97

DeereRunner97 Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    I always roll mine down too, but they got me on camera before I could get it down. The thing that gets me is that you can only have a certain amount of tint, but I don’t recall ever seeing anyone that uses the window blinds, curtains or towels to block the sun, get in trouble.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I have some blackout curtains on the inside of my truck and have never gotten in trouble. They are blocking the top of each side window no more than 6.5 inches. On the windshield, it blocks no more than 5 inches. When I drive I usually have my seat raised high so that the curtains can block as much sunlight as possible.

DeereRunner97 Thanks this.
  10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Oh, I know, but it's all I can do. If my choices are do risk it with them up or roll them down I'm sure gonna roll them down.

DeereRunner97 Thanks this.
  11. Bossyrucker35

Bossyrucker35 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2020
    So if I have 30% on my truck windows is that legal or no?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.