Winter and no idle Company Trucks.....

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Prime-Mate, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Prime-Mate

Prime-Mate Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I just saw a post on the Prime's Facebook page about a bunk heater fail, and frozen driver. I haven't had a company truck for quite a few years, but the two that I had, I found that I could idle the first truck, by turning on the cruise and increasing the idle just a bit, would keep the truck running... The other truck I found that simply leaving the trailer applied would let it idle.....

If any company drivers would like to try these tricks or others, and let us know, you may be able to help another in a pinch when his bunk heater or apu craps.......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    If I m cold in the winter,that truck is going to idle. Most companies will tell you to idle because 25.00 of fuel is a whole lot cheaper than a service call to jump start batteries or any other cold weather issues

NavigatorWife and PChase Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You'd think that using the 45,000 mile PM routine they wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks on a few gallons of diesel.

5. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I've always idled at 10 and below, didn't want the fuel to gel (not sure what temp that happens at)

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Our trucks won't idle between like 35-65 degrees... So if it's hot or cold we can idle.

The bunk heater seems to keep up in cool weather down to the 35 mark.

But if the battery dies I don't think I have a work around other than keeping the accelerator pressed with something.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    turn the cruise on.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The truck I'm in won't idle for anything. Below zero, brakes released, cruise on high idle, nothing. It used to, I could idle if something went wrong but they changed policy or something a while back.

No to mention the cheap thermostat they use on the bunk heater so it barely come on or comes on full blast. The workaround is to run the apu for ac to regulate the temp... Yeah I'm sure they are saving money on that deal.

What an insult.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thinking the CC won't kick in under 30mph but I will certainly give it a try.

10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Actually what you need to do is call your FM, and they will put you up in a hotel. Prime DOES have a policy that when its hits a certain temp out side and your bunk heater does not work, then you can get put up in a hotel. How do I know this you may ask, because my APU went out in WI one winter night and they put me up.
    Its also amazing how fast your APU or bunk heater will get fixed in this situation LOL

11. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya I bet... They start paying for a few nights in a hotel and stuff gets done... lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.