Winter Gear

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by LA runner, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yeah, I always kept a bottle of Cornhuskers lotion in the truck. Hard believe a 1/16" crack on cuticle can hurt so dang much!

BigBob410, VTech and Banker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LA runner

LA runner Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
  4. LA runner

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    Thanks

Dan.S Thanks this.
  5. LA runner

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    Thanks

6. LA runner

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    Thanks

7. LA runner

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    I was thinking about those mechanics gloves....actually; I am going to buy some now in the truck stop.
    Thanks

8. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Lots of good ideas here.

GLOVES I've never found a way to keep my fingers warm, I just use jersey gloves inside leather work gloves, lots of them. 2 pairs on the dash with the defroster warming/drying them at all times. I may only load 2 cars before I get back in the truck to change gloves, warm up fingers.
    BOOTS This is really hi tech. Work shoes, bread bag or plastic grocery bag over them and zippered galoshes, remember that word for boots? The plastic bags make the boots easy to get off and when you're done loading and driving your feet aren't sweating.

If you dress right loading in really cold weather is almost easier than, say 25, when everything gets wet constantly.

BigBob410, Hammer166 and Banker Thank this.
  9. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I spent a winter hauling crude in North Dakota. A really nice day up there might be around 0 with 20mph wind gusts. A nasty day could be -20 and 40mph steady winds. I could spend up to an hour outside my truck 6 to 8 times a day.
    Here's my gear list.

Thin poly sock liners topped with medium weight merino wool socks inside a Columbia Bugaboot. Sometimes I might get a little too warm in those and sweat, so I kept an extra set of socks to change if necessary.

Helly Hansen poly wool blended base layer tops and bottoms.

Lightweight Wrangler rip stop dungarees.

Lightweight long sleeve cotton tee.

Fleece hoodie.

Berne insulated cotton duck bibs and matching coat. Berne makes quality affordable gear that's more comfortable than Carhart at a fraction of the cost.

Nitrile gloves inside cheap brown jersey gloves inside an insulated rubber coated glove.

Clear riding glasses or goggles.

Poly Cotton blended Balaclava.

Wool Beanie.

Carhart PVC raincoat when needed.

On the very worst days I might have to occasionally shut my pumps down and climb in the cab to defrost my fingers, but only on really bad days.

Keeping your digits warm is always the hardest thing to do. What I learned was, the better I took care of myself, the better I handled the elements. A good diet and proper exercise, particularly cardio, will help your body deal with the harshest conditions much better than it might otherwise. Good circulation is the key to warm fingers and toes.

10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Your jersey gloves under work gloves, plastic bags over work shoes and galoshes were exactly what my depression era grandfather used to wear working around the farm. At the time I didn’t realize just how smart he really was. Thanks for bring back some great memories.

BigBob410 and NuCar Carrier Thank this.
  11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    That's what I wore on cool days, as long as it was dry. Say 20° - 40°. Decent protection, good dexterity, warmer than leather.

One of the half dozen types of gloves I'd have in the truck in winter, and at least two pairs of most. Liners, leather, mechanics, insulated leather (in deerskin for dexterity), insulated pvc gauntlets (for those sloppy days), and mid-weight work gloves for fueling.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.