Wish I knew this before I did Linehaul, governed at 62 mph.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jameswood, Dec 22, 2022.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well then, that's a horse of a different color, I wouldn't drive a truck today unless it was by the hour. While P&D has some advantages, it's a high stress job, and not near as regular hours as linehaul. In P&D, you just come in from rush hour at 4:55pm, thinking, almost done,, dispatcher says, you have to get this one pallet on the other side of town,,guess what, there goes dinner with the family. P&D paid by mileage? I've heard enough of that company. You are wise to move on. Try the post office, they are literally BEGGING for drivers. For example, a PO run came up in my little town, private company, 1 load per night to Denver, about 3 hours in good weather, new Mack, starting at $31/hour, with overtime, that job went unfilled for MONTHS! It's a drivers game, today, I say go for it.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    There’s a way around that. Run for a company that goes a fair distance from the barn and take one of those runs, preferably one with an early start if you can get it.

Those of us for whom 250+ mile peddles are typical don’t get sent back out to run some one pallet garbage across town that some idiot who should’ve been fired a long time ago dropped the ball on.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Some call it boring and I can understand why. But like you I find a certain degree of security in knowing what I’m doing every day AND knowing I’ll be running my assigned truck and trailer, AND knowing where I’m going is nowhere near the nation’s capital.

ducnut, Still undecided and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @jameswood --

Your request is extremely difficult to answer, without more specific location info.

Please give us a city/state to which you are closest.....o_O

--Lual

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, that's risky business. The company I was leased on to, had strict rules on hauling anything on your own. I pulled rail wagons, many times empty, and knew of guys that would haul something on their own. The boss found out, and shixcanned them on the spot. Something about insurance, naturally. The hassles involved didn't pay.

7. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    Has anyone used a hammock or one of these specialty loungers? Does it make the doors sag?

$65 buck for the Day Cab lounger.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Tye a knot in each end
    The one I have is like a net
    Shut the knot outside the doors.
    They work well and can be found at REI cheaper
    Hand under landing gear for warmer weather
    I found it great for waiting on breakdowns..

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Have a question kind of related to this. I've seen some ads for Warehouse to Warehouse or to Drop Yard, but the ad refers to these as Shuttles. Is Shuttle meaning something like short quick turn around Linehaul?

10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Probably running trailers between warehouses.

11. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I drive for a company that has their trucks tied down to 67, once in a blue moon I might latch on to one that will run 70. I run 295 miles to my "turning point" , it usually takes me around 4 /30 or maybe 4/40 . The times I happened to have latched on to one of the fast 70 mph trucks, do you know how much faster I got to the "turning point"? 8 minutes, I can "hammer down" with the 70 mph truck and I might save 8 minutes. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I wished I had a "fast" truck, but in real life, you ain't saving too much time overall.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.