Witte Brothers, Inc. - Troy, Mo.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by jimijam66, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jimijam66

jimijam66 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2005
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I don't think it's THAT bad. Once you are turned loose, you get a 2 cent raise if you stick it out for three months, then you get another 2 cent raise at the six month mark. Make it to a year and you get a 3 cent raise. 31 cents per mile for a years worth of experience could be worse.

Driver pay has went down with many of the companies out there, and despite the carriers that are screaming out there that they are paying "50 cents per mile", they are not getting the bites that they thought they would get. I wouldn't work for most of them at a dollar per mile, because the jobs they offer are horrible.

I flipped over to the Witte Brothers experienced driver page, and saw that the starting pay is 33 cents per mile to new hires with experience. They also apparently have quite a bonus plan to go with that. If a driver completes a full year, they get 14 cents per mile for all their paid miles. At 130,000 miles per year, it could mean $18,200, and that's quite a bonus. I'd want to know a bit more about what the "guaranteed pay" program is all about, because it sounds like one of those "incentives" that are being tried and tested by so many carriers to keep people in the seats. Unlike most, there is some reference to the fact that you still get something if you do not make it a year, so what exactly ARE the terms?

If they offer a bonus similar to this for newbies, then it might not be a bad thing at all. Of course, always see what you can get in writing that will explain terms and conditions, because it's not uncommon that there is a catch to things like this.

TST65 Thanks this.
  4. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    I wondered about the "Guarantee" pay myself....

5. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    That's unique for sure. The way I see it, it looks like they will pay a really good wage for a full years worth of service, IF you stick with them.

On one side, I say...that's kinda neat. On the other side, I say...Why play games? Why not offer an experienced driver 47 cpm right off the bat? People that are making a good paycheck EVERY week are just as inclined to stay for that reason as well.

I've run across something that ties into this, while searching for my new job over the past three weeks. You can go to a website, or read an advertisement, and there will almost always be some statement that reads that a certain number of years of verifiable experience will allow you to start at "X" number of cents per mile.

Now, I spoke to roughly six companies in this time, and all but one of them actually offered me what was on the sites or in print. The rest trimmed that number by at least four cents per mile, even after asking me how much experience I had and whether or not it could be verified. How long do you think I stayed on the phone after hearing that there was total dishonesty on that one issue alone? Not long I assure you.

I'm not that trusting of any company to let them hold that amount of money, work for a year in anticipation of receiving it, and expect that they will write the check.

Why don't these carriers quit playing games, and dangling bottles of water in front of the eyes of thirsty drivers, and simply offer a decent job for decent pay? I guess that's just too darn simple.

I understand to some degree why some companies are trying tactics like this. In talking to several companies recenty, I found out that it's not unusual for some drivers to put in applications, where they will list as many as 20 jobs for the most recent three years. That's equivalent to staying just seven weeks on each job. What's the deal there?

I wouldn't be inclined to offer a person a job, at any wage, who has a track record like that, because even though I know that there are problems out there with so many carriers, I don't think that it's bad enough, that you can't at least attempt to put in enough time to work through difficulties that exist. A person with that kind of a record is not doing their part to choose jobs wisely, or is not cut out for ANY job.

TST65 Thanks this.
  6. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    It's the old carrot on the stick trick. They are betting on selling a nice shiney piece of chrome to the driver. I agree in that why not just come out and pay the full rate instead of the smoke and mirror tactics that a lot of these companies are using.

7. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Looks like a good deal to me.Great equipment to drive, Decent pay and a 14cents per mile yearly bonus.Whats wrong with that?
    Skull :shock:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004
    i don't much care for that whopping 31¢ per mile. nowadays, most companies will start off even a driver with as little as 6 months experience at 38¢ per mile..............

TST65 Thanks this.
  9. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    All they have to say at the end of the year is that you did not qualify for the bonus and it's gone...

TST65 Thanks this.
  10. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Probably when you get close to getting that 14 cent bonus for staying on a year they do something to try to get you to quit. It's not that hard. They just give you a POS truck to drive, send you to shippers/receivers that make you weight endlessly, and/or make "clerical errors on your pay check / reimbursement check.

All these companies play the same games. They dangle some pretty chrome truck in front of a newbe's eyes and offer them some kind of pay that sounds ok but with some condition so they can scr*w them out of it. Same game they played 20+ years ago, same game now.

TST65 Thanks this.
  11. Hawk

Hawk Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2006
    MO
    they are a multiple drop company. they pay you for each drop upto 50 dollars. and it is mostly driver unload so you get paid for that as well. With 3+ years otr exp. you start out at .33 cents per mile. with your per mile rate and your drop pay and all the other pay they offer it is suppose to equal .47 cents per mile. after one year they take the total miles that you have run and the other pay that you recive and if you did not make at least .47 cents for your miles they cut you a check to bring it up to the .47 cents per mile. i would not like it but that is how the system they have works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.