Wondering if I should pursue trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lisa9, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You might know it better by Abalama.

UturnGirl and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Brake lines are color coded, so you won't get confused by that.
    You don't need to fix the truck, the company will arrange it.

Handling a big truck is a bit more than a car, but it is just getting your perspective adjusted to the longer length and turns. Also longer stopping distance, so you need to keep some room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
    Also backing with a trailer hooked to you. But that will come with practice, and patience.
    All doable, if you have some patience.

You should try it.
    You can always go back to the way you were before. But if you don't try it, you will never know if you will fall in love with it.

4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    maybe not in the beginning but if you find the right company that fits you it can be like a "vacation". as far as the mechanics of a truck you will learn as you go. although if you drive new equipment you might not learn much as not much goes wrong, but that can be good depending on what your looking to get out of it. whats the worst that can happen if it doesnt work out? you go back to what you were doing before. good luck

Cattleman84, Badmon and Lisa9 Thank this.
  5. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Thank you so much for that info and for responding, Dennixx! Much appreciated. I have heard that many women have become truckers and that does give me some hope lol. It is a bit of a relief to learn that some of the parts are color-coded. Thanks again!

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just remember: Every driver in a fancy, chromed out hood started out knowing just as much as you do now.

7. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    :) Appreciate the encouragement, kemosabi49! Thank you for your reply. I'm sure family and friends will worry, but at least I'll have a worthwhile job.

8. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Wow! Thank you so much, Badmon! Reading your message gave me a huge boost. Ty.

Cattleman84 and Badmon Thank this.
  9. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Thank you, Dave_in_AZ! Safety is a concern, but overall, I'd have to agree. Life's an adventure, right?

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You’ll get used to Driving a Large Truck. No need to be intimidated by the Job, or others. One of the best things about Trucking is pay parity for Men and women. No glass ceilings. The best thing is always having a Job, and the ability to change Jobs, if you’re not happy with current one. Go for it.

11. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    LOL @Chinatown! Thanks! Tennessee is a beautiful state. I was born on Long Island, moved with my family to FL when I was 10, and moved to Seale, AL (by Columbus, GA) last December (wow, that went by quickly!).

Thank you for helping me!

Cattleman84 and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.