Wondering if I should pursue trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lisa9, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Thank you for your kind reply, Rideandrepair. I've always loved driving. First started driving my grandparent's golf cart and would ride my grandfather's scooter around lol. Makes sense that I could eventually adapt to driving a much bigger vehicle.

The job stability and pay are a definite plus.

Thanks again!

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Thank you, Rugerfan! Just looking at the truck and the moving parts...I figured it'd be better to have a mechanical background, just in case, but it is a relief to know it's not a requirement.

4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It's just muscle memory, mostly. It's hard at first, but once you get the muscle memory, it's like driving anything else for the most part. You will be taught what you need to know in driving school.

Just pick a decent company to start with. They are not going to put you behind the wheel of a large truck with inadequate training. Lots of people fail only because they don't really care or take it seriously.

Chinatown is the resident guru for good companies and he will point you in the right direction. I know that from experience.

Welcome, and see you on the road.

5. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Nice! I'll give those a watch. Thanks again, Dennixx!

Rideandrepair, Dennixx and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  6. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Thank you, thank you! It's so helpful to talk with truckers and "hear" everyone's insight and experiences. Thanks to all who took the time/will take the time to reply.

I'll be sure to ask Chinatown for additional resources besides the links he posted, ty for that.

Picking a good school is most important to me. I've looked through the other threads on here pertaining to that topic, and it was an eye-opener, for sure.

Ty, TravR1! See you out there...

Rideandrepair, Cattleman84 and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Ty again, TravR1! Reading such supportive comments just does a world of good for me.

Your story about the female trucker who conquered the docking has me laughing. Hats off to that lady!

I think you're right about that. My parents taught me to try to anticipate what other drivers may do.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. Lisa9

Lisa9 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Ty, Chinatown!!

I'm not sure, actually. I've checked out both types though. Are "CDL mills" a big a problem as I've read about? Are they more prevalent in private companies or trucking company school? What do you think is the better option? I would only be able to afford a portion of the cost up front. Working for a company to pay off the debt doesn't bother me...should it though?

I'll read up on Steven's Transport. Appreciate the link and everyone's help!

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This one trains in Mississippi:
    `
    Home | KLLM Driving Academy
    Home | KLLM Driving Academy
    Come train to be a professional truck driver at The KLLM Driving Academy. We'll get you equipped to go on the road as a Class A truck driver in 22 days - and we'll have a job waiting when you finish your training.
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.