word police

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by trucker_101, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    No I wouldn't use swear words in a job interview either, but this forum isn't a job interview. It's mostly a group of truck drivers & friends talking to each other using the words that they would normally use if they were talking to each other in the presence of others, like in a restaurant. I used this example on purpose, because we have all heard swearing coming from a table near us. Most words really don't upset us weather the children are with us or not.But there are some words that we really don't need to listen to. So yes I agree a filter is needed, just adjusted a little. Actually I don't think my post regarding "vulgar" is off point, as you used it in your reply to me. I was just showing that there are many kinds of vulgar things posted every day that are not censored & they are not posts that would improve the image of the trucking industry. But I & many others still enjoy reading them. This is shown by the reply count to the posts & the viewing count to the post also.
    Any way at this point I just want to state that...I really don't want this to come off as an argument, it's just a disagreement.:biggrin_25514:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I guess you do not know about the many young people and family members that get on here.

4. trucker_101

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    If you were in a restaurant with your wife and kids & the people at the next table used that 3 letter word for a backside or said that the boss was acting like a horses "backside"(place the offending word there) are you saying that, that would upset you? Or make you leave? Or say something to the speaker of these words? I really don't think you or most others on here would do any of these things, because it really wouldn't upset you that much if at all.

No, Do you? if so please post here.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If you cannot tell by now, there is no hope for you.

If I was in a restaurant and did not like the language in front of my family, I would say something.

Seems to me there is a lack of maturity on this by some people.

I do not see the need to make juvenile comments with the language and the nice little # that some like to leave.

I prefer to deal with intelligent mature people. Apparently, you are not interested in that.

Best to you.

6. trucker_101

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    I & we were talking about "That" three letter word. Now I see that you just want to generalize this & not stay on the point & not answer a question that you posted. I was NOT talking about All cuss words and you know it. Just because a person chooses to use a word that "you" do not like does not mean that, that person is not an intelligent mature person. And I'm pretty sure that the people on here who have posted on here using a word you don't like, don't appreciate being called "unintelligent immature juvenile people" by you.
    Best to you.

7. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    As you are aware, the trucking industry is not Disneyland, and we're not going to sugarcoat the profession by censoring the objectionable experiences that our members share. After all, our goal is to provide a platform for drivers to have an honest and unbiased resource for exchanging information about trucking. I don't see any contradiction in encouraging this exchange while using a word filter to limit the vulgarity of language that is used to share information.

As I said earlier, opinion on the vulgarity of specific words varies between individuals, and lacking the presence or the need for a panel of experts to consult on the issue, my own 'job interview' test will continue to function as the informal authority. Frankly, I feel that writing multiple posts to discuss the removal of 1 or 2 words from the word filter is exceptionally pedantic, and I think we should simply agree to disagree on this matter.

I'm always glad to discuss forum policy with those that need clarification, but more than enough time has been spent on discussion for an issue as trivial as the word filter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.