Work medical clinics could give a darn about you.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by waveform, Mar 7, 2015.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Wow, RetiredUSN, that's intense. While I don't have the greatest love for the medical community, I'm convinced it's all about getting rich, with a few exceptions, of course, I think we have a false sense of thinking they are miracle workers and expect them to cure everything. While great strides have been made in the medical field, we have to remember, they are just human beings too, and can make a mistake. I just think of 100 or even 50 year or 25 years ago, medical conditions that all they could do was try and make you comfortable until you died, are being treated with good results today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I developed "blebs" on my lungs after the age of 19.....(according to the docs) Some tall people grow faster than their organs can keep up with, particularly the lungs. I had a bunch of little hard this spots that would break open now and then. It was always diagnosed as "pleurisy" up until I had a full collapse. After my surgery to repair the spots, the doctors told me that I actually had many small collapses prior that were misdiagnosed. The initial feeling of a collapsed lung can vary from person to person. In my cases, it was always bad really bad tearing pain in my chest, followed up with a bad throbbing. I couldn't take deep breaths because of the pain. I was in great shape during those years, so the doctors understood why I never felt out of breath. The small collapses would feel better over a 2-3 week period. I went misdiagnosed from 1977 - 1988. The doc's went through my medical record and saw all my trips to sick bay. They concluded that I may have had about 7-8 partial collapses during those years. I was very lucky that the lung was never permanently damaged.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Medical clinics here are the same way,there's wheelchairs as you walk in but I have never seen the office staff get a wheelchair for a patient.How did you get to the clinic from where your accicident happened?Sounds like you was in great pain why didn't you go to out patients or have your company send someone to come get you?But you are right when you say medical ppl does not care about us,its all about money and nothing more.But when you're in great pain you need to either call 911 or tell your company you need someone to help you to the clinic.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    Anyone here from California? I can't believe what happened at the clinic the other day. Something is fishy. I think they are crooked.

I went for a follow up and I was told that I was suppose to have an ankle brace. When I left the place I stopped at my car and looked over the report the staff handed me. The doctor left the section for LIFT, and PULLING restrictions blank. She also left the check box unchecked for icing the ankle, which was swollen and it's been a week. (It's still swollen by the way) They added a check box to the section of the form indicating that I was given an ankle brace when I was not, and they also checked the box saying that I'm being given therapy, No one has said anything about getting theory to me however.
    So I went back into the building to get all this corrected. The doctor at the last min decided not to give me the ankle brace and unchecked that option, then reprinted the report and gave me a new sheet. Still they never added a check box to ice the ankle. So when I asked the nurse to ask the doc why it was unchecked, she came back saying that "the doctor told her that It's up to me if I want to ice it". By not checking the box makes it look like my ankle was not swollen. There was also a check box (marked) for therapy which should not be checked because I was not instructed or given any info about going for therapy. These people are making stuff up as they go. Is this legal?

My friend (who's been through this kind of thing) mentioned that you cannot see a torn ligament or mussels with an Xray. You must have an MRI. Anyway, because the doctor said I could return to work with restrictions the day after this happened, I am not getting any compensation for the 7 days I was off. According to my HR person, she said that compensation doesn't pay the first seven days and the company only pays if you're working. But I found nothing in benefits compensation book my employer gave me that reflected seven days for anything. I even searched the document for the word (seven) and the numeral (7) nothing came up.

I would think that when you get hurt on the job, you should at least get a few days compensation. My HR is telling me that I'm not getting compensated for anything. What's funny is, I was told by my HR person that they had no work for me during the first 7 days but after (that period ended), they had office work all the sudden. I had taken off the rest on vac months ago so the timing was right I guess. My ankle is not hurting if I walk straight, but it's still swollen and it feels sour when I bend it sideways or up. I want to get back to work, but I'm just worried I'm going to hurt it. I drag a 210 Lb fuel hose at work most of the day. It's all ankle and wrist stress.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi waveform, I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma, but I hope you've learned a lesson here. These "walk-in" clinics are not unlike shoddy auto repair shops. If you want the best service, go to a dealer with factory trained mechanics. A hospital is your best bet in a situation like this, even overkill in some instances. They are trained to deal with this on a professional level. Also, companies are masters at weaseling out of paying for injuries sustained on the job. With health care costs out of control, it's easier to find a way out of it, rather than help you. I wish you the best of luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.