Working in the USA as a truck driver ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by klaman, Aug 13, 2014.

1. bgxpress2006

bgxpress2006 Light Load Member

May 25, 2013
    Montreal, Quebec
    Why because I stand up for my culture...I dont agree with pq or their chart they tried to pass btw.. but I can tell you goung down the 401 that every english ontario resident feels the same way. And funny thing when im out west I hear the same thing a lot yet I never start convos im just listening mostly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    I'm so sorry that I couldn't adapt to your system:

Not driving drunk after a party, not speeding on highway 11 in northern Ontario, not speeding in construction zones, not speeding on icy roads in BC and so on...
    You Canadians always think that driving the Rockies is hard and needs experience driving on snowy or icy roads, When I drove the Rockies in winter it was really fun watching Canadians who tried to manage that, in Europe we have much steeper grades and more ####### wet snow, it takes much more experience to climb hills and go downhill safe than you ever will think about. European trucks with one drive axle are not really that what you want to drive on icy roads. Would give a Canadian one week in winter driving conditions in Europe with a such a truck and he's done or dead.

What I don't like is the racist comments of you friendly Canadians, I know that you have lots of drivers from India, how was it called, Hwy 401 or Highway 11, Taliban Highway?

I was in Canada, cause I really thought, this country is in need of truck drivers, but that's not true, I agree with you, you don't need foreigners, the wages are low and I was one who worked for low wages (the same as some stupid Canadians).

But we Europeans are used to work hard and are not so lazy, that's what Canadian employers like, that's one of the reasons why they like to import foreign workers from Europe.

I'm really glad to be in the U.S. now, never had problems here with racist comments, I feel free here cause i"m not here on a work permit, I can switch employers when I like.
    Canada is a really lovely country, but Canadian truck drivers...

I was welcomed in this country by nice Canadians, my landlords (which still visit me in Vegas), but racist Canadian truck drivers or especially from Quebec, who don't know how to speak a real french language, will never be my friends...

4. mr.steampunk

mr.steampunk Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Apply to a U.S. college or university.

Attend classes at that university.

During semester break enroll and complete CDL training.

Gain associate's degree.

Gain full time employment with a trucking company.

Have them fill out work sponsorship papers.

You are now fast tracked for resident alien status, first step to becoming naturalized citizen, and therefore fully able to live and work in U.S.

my wife did something similar in her 20's. Being from South Africa she wanted to open a hair salon here in the states. She couldn't get a green card , so she applied and got accepted to some really small college in rhode island. She applied to over 30 universities and colleges knowing one of them would probably accept her. She chose the one in Rhode Island because it was way cheaper than all the others. While in school she worked on getting her Cosmetician license. Once she got that she finished her associates degree, and took a job at a high end salon in NYC. She then applied for resident work status by having her salon fill out the sponsorship paperwork. About 3 months later she was granted the status and then started courses for naturalization. During this time she began the process of opening her salon. Then she became a naturalized citizen.....which makes her 99% American, since she wasn't born here she can't become the President of the U.S., but she can do pretty much everything else.

By 27 she had it all done and she first came here at 21.

I met her right before her naturalization ceremony and got to go to it. It was pretty cool, Senator Shumer from NY was the Speaker and the person who "Swore" them all in, we still have the pic of her standing next to him sitting on our mantle.

There are ways to accomplish what you want to do, you just need to be a little creative to do it.

5. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014
    oh, and if you go the route I explained.....since you are wanting to get into the trucking industry....take courses in Logistics (which is what trucking is a part of) or small business management (owning a truck) or accounting (owning a truck, getting paid etc).

Just a suggestion

6. klaman

klaman Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Thank you for your answer sir, may I ask a question ?So, high school is 5 years here in Italy instead of 4, which means I'll end high school at 19. I don't have straight A's so probably I won't get a scholarship and colleges in the USA are very expensive, and my parents can't afford paying thousands and thousand of dollars every year. But maybe if it's a small college in a smaller state it would be cheaper ? Also, would it be alright if I quit high school in Italy then get a GED in the States ? I know a lot of colleges accept students who got a GED instead of a high school diploma, cause I wanna move as soon as possible there, I don't wanna wait until 19 to finish high school here, hell, if I could, I'd be on a plane now :lol:

7. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014
    check your inbox for my lengthy reply.

never drop out of school.....ever.

8. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014
  9. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

Ok, you aren't being honest about something here. In your first post you said you were 20. Now you are saying you don't want to wait to be 19.

If you are asking for help with something you need to be completely honest so we can give proper information.

mr.steampunk Thanks this.
  10. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014

**missed that, good catch. That is why I am not a detective.

11. klaman

klaman Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Sorry about that, I tried to register posting my age (17, born in 1997) and they didn't accept it so I had to lie about being an adult. Anyway, the tuition for community college isn't that high BUT I'm a non resident coming from Italy, so it would cost more ..how much more ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.