Working in the USA as a truck driver ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by klaman, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mr.steampunk

mr.steampunk Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2014
    http://www.collegecalc.org/lists/america/most-affordable-out-of-state-total/

that gives you a breakdown of tuition, click on the different schools to find out if they offer room and board. The room would be a dormitory style room with one or two roomates with a kitchen and bathroom. The board would be food and snack and what not.

Some schools offer room and board some dont.

The ones that dont, you would need to rent an apartment near the school.

Clothes, laundry, entertainment would be on you. I had a part time job at a grocery store when I was in college to put money in my pocket.

As far as rent..... www.craigslist.org locate the city nearest the school you are looking at, and you can check apartment rental and job offerings in that area. That will give you an idea of what is available and how much it costs.

Here in the U.S. living in or very near a major city is always more expensive than living away from a major city.

that should get you started.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    If you're going to make the move from Italy, aspire for something higher. There are countless posts by newbies and old hands alike regarding how they feel the state of the trucking industry is, and those perceptions come from somewhere.

mr.steampunk Thanks this.
  4. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014
    I'm thinking if he gets enrolled in college, either A he follows through on his "dream" or B he ends up doing something else with a degree.

5. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Nothing like 15 mexicans moving in down the street into a house meant for 4 or 5.

mr.steampunk Thanks this.
  6. mr.steampunk

Apr 28, 2014

I will say, the one thing my little, isolated, backwater, middle of nowhere town has been good for recently is curbing exactly that. Even have a hotline number for "Over Occupied Domiciles" or something to that effect. And they are cracking down on landlords who knowingly allow their tennants to do so. 2 people per bedroom if over 18, 3 if minors. 1 bathroom for every 6 people or something to that effect......caused a lot of drama when the council approved the measure....but the only people raising hell were the guilty landlords and the media from out of town.

7. StarGoose

StarGoose Bobtail Member

May 12, 2014
    London, Ontario
    Saskatchewan is looking for truck drivers most of the time. Due to the province having a big boom in industry and most people not wanting to be truckers...let alone truckers living and working in SASKATCHEWAN ....It's always worth a look into ! :D :D :D Otherwise.... Marry someone.

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    G'day folks i was reading through this thread i have some personal experience in this matter so i'd like to add some input back 2005 i was able to get a H2b visa temporary work visa to come over to the USA to drive for a company in Utah, to get a temporary work visa is almost as hard as getting a green card seeing how there is a limited amount issued every year the number always varies currently at 66,000. To get a H2b issued a US company must prove to the Dept of Labour that they can't find a sufficient number of workers they do this by advertising for a certain amount of time if they can then prove that they can't get enough employees locally then the Dept of Labour will petition to the DHS for the appropriate visa's once the visa's are issued its just a matter of the Transport Company informing you and supplying you with form (I-765) you then make an appointment with your nearest US consulate which issue the visa in your passport. In the mean time you can apply for a green card lottery which is real every year the Dept of State issues 50,000 green cards to qualifying countries so before you apply check that your country of origin qualifies the offical web site is: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ be very careful of any adds claiming to improve your chances of winning this is false and misleading you can only enter once per year, the lottery is usually open for registration from the 1st October to about the first Monday in November.
    Having said that if you have a wife she may also apply seperatly which gives you 2 chances of winning as long as she is from a qualifying country. Hope this has been of some help to you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.