Working in West Texas oil field.

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Bow3333, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Bow3333

Bow3333 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    I am a oilfield transport driver hauling chemical to well sites for over 2 years now.
    I am interested in going owner operator and would like some info from drivers in the area about finding loans and how profitable the market is at this time.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You may get better responses in the oil field trucking forum.

4. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Don't.

The risk isn't worth the reward. It was back in the day but there's too much that could go wrong. Now you can make a great living as a company driver the never have to worry about wrenching on your equipment

5. MaxzRig

MaxzRig Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    I am an O/O hauling crude for a small company currently (less than 10 trks). The pay is great when working (up to $10k a week, ave. $4,500 wk gross before fuel). But been sitting for various reasons off & on. A month at the first of the year, now sitting for about a week recently. Also keep in mind what everyone who's been O/O is telling you bout expenses. THEY ARE REAL! THEY DO ADD UP!! THEY WILL CONTINUALLY HIT YOUR BOTTOM LINE!!! I know from experience... I was blessed to keep my finances in order. When I bought a $60k Volvo 15 mos ago. I had about $30k in credit cards available... went thru almost every penny of it to get up & running well. It took about 4 solid months to get my wet kit, cause I went CHEAP/USED & trusted a scammer. Cost me alot up front. Now after running for about a year (as I said off & on), the truck is well! The wet kit is good, but has ocassional leak. I lease my trailer (thank God), but not sure if I would make more or less if I owned it. Tires on the truck are enough to send my head spinning, lol.
    Keep in mind, as an O/O you are free to call your shots, but at what expense... try to talk to as many o/o as possible & weigh your decision upon your diligent research. My bottom line is I'm about 65-75% pro YES to O/O. The painful bills & down time is up to ones patience to succeed in the long run. I'm 63 and running thin on patience, lol :)

6. Nyteryda

Nyteryda Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Working in the oilfield just isn't worth it

7. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    So explain why not.

8. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Looks at wife's 2019 XC90 paid in cash.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SavageMuffin Thanks this.
  9. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Working in the oilfield "Now" compared to 2013 isn't worth it.

10. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    I work in it and do fine. Make more than I did OTR and I’m home pretty much every night. Seems worth it to me.

tommygun58 and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  11. BigRigger$

BigRigger$ Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2019
    There have been a lot of naysaying about frac sand hauling. Can you please shed some more light on the industry as you see it currently?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.