Worst job/truck you started in when you got your cdl?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by aviatornation, May 11, 2013.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Did you finally figure out how to hit high range?

okiedokie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET

Actually had an old farm truck with floppy fenders do that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I usually drive smaller, medium duty trucks. My first truck was an '06 GM 5500 with 250k hard bush and mine kilometers on it. It was beat. I put probably 50k on it before I quit and the truck became the shop spare. That particular truck is my avatar at the moment.

5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Flat and fork for a sod farm called Southwest Farms out of Pueblo, CO. The truck wasn't so bad.. T600.. the guy was just a real #### to work for, not to mention it wasn't worth the 54 mile commute either way.
    Delivering brick and other construction supplies in an old GMC Astro cabover wasn't particularly great, either... which is why I'm convinced that those saying they want a return to cabovers are either people who can't back to save their life, or old timers who are ############ the rest of us (and perhaps themselves) for the sake of machismo. Even running 6x6 off road units never left me pissing blood at the end of the day.
    I did some side work for a horse farm in NC... they had what I believe was an old Consolidated Freight truck.. 95 Freightiner FLB or FLC single axle cabover with a seven speed synchromesh transmission and an air start... it wasn't a bad side gig, but that truck was a total POS. We kept a gas fired compressor with us because the tank for the air start never held air. This one did have an air ride seat, which I'm assuming is the reason the truck didn't play hell on my urinary tract the way the Astro did.
    Pioneer Sand... the job itself wasn't terrible, and the equipment was pretty good, but management there were some backstabbing mother####ers.
    In another "I don't like synchromesh boxes" note, when I ran a service truck for M&M Hauling and Repair out of Commerce City, CO, I had a 4x4 FL70 with a six speed.. really wish it had either a twin countershaft or else an auto. The owner of that company was a bit of a backstabbing ########, as well, although the work itself was interesting, and I did enjoy it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    How were they?

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Worst job? Hauling live turkeys into a slaughter plant just before Thanksgiving in 1971. We had to help load and my leather boots got soaked with turkey crap. Never did get the smell out so I left them outside one night and somebody stole 'em.
    The trucks were Internationals with 250 Cummins and ten speeds.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Somebody stole your boots covered in turkey crap?

Serves them right.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's kinda what I thought. They stunk so bad my wife wouldn't let me wear them in the house. After turkey season I just ignored them. Somebody must have really needed a set of boots.

Florida Playboy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I have never been a company driver unless you count the times my dad put me in a truck when a driver didn't show up.

I bought an old pos and was pulling loads barely a week after turning 18. My piece of crap was a 25 year old gmc astro with a screaming 238 detroit. I can't remember what i paid for it but it was no more than an even grand. It only lasted 6 months but considering what i paid for it, i made a fortune on that truck.

Lepton1 and ‘Olhand Thank this.
  11. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    ran my ### off paid % a lot of lumping home weekends and holidays if I remember never took home less then $900 any week. for the 9 months down side old equipment they still have the centuries they had when I was there. I just got burned out spent 8 years otr and left them for a day cab at toys r us in Flanders,nj ....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.