Worth it to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Dec 9, 2022.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Beautiful state. Not so crazy about its traffic though. Would be nice to drive South Dakota or somewhere desolate like that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    South Dakota is the easiest state to get a legal address for your cdl without having to buy or rent a place.
    No state income taxes in South Dakota.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I saved up a decent amount of money in a short time via OTR trucking. I don't think I would've saved anything close to the $2K I was netting every month if I had worked a regular job instead with whatever I could've found with my bachelor of arts degree in hand. Of course, I was able to do this by making the sacrifice to live on the road and not rent an apartment or own a car. To me, it often sucked to end up getting my "free time" in some random place like West Memphis. Of course that's the trade off, but personally I didn't think it was worth it to rent an apartment that I was only going to see 5 or 6 days a month at most.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  7. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Been there. Done that. It worked OK until I wanted to find a better company to work for, and then I realized very few companies hire from that state. I even gave them my spiel: "I don't actually live there, it's just a legal residence I set up, and I don't need to be here for hometime ever." Still the companies never seemed flexible on that point, so I ultimately moved to TN. In my opinion, there's not a lot of demand for trucking in South Dakota.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    OK. I meant none of the companies I was interested in at the time.
    That said, I'm still not convinced there's a very big trucking market there. Sioux Falls, the biggest city, has some manufacturing, but it's not a very big city. Mostly the state produces what? Cattle? Probably some good opportunities for cattle haulers. I did a short stint with a flatbedding outfit that had several loads out of South Dakota. The last company I worked for had a couple loads in and out of there. We went way out into the boonies to deliver ag chemicals to farms, which was kind of fun since there was a lot of time spent on lonely little rural highways. I really enjoyed that kind of trucking. Of course, that was during the growing season. I bet those same highways would become death traps when the snow flies.

At this point in my career I'm mostly interested in the simplicity and comfort of dry van.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Bison Transport
    Bison also owns several USA companies that hire in South Dakota, such as H.O. Wolding

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.