Worth it to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    No way I'd rent an apartment if I was driving OTR. That's an expensive way to store possessions. :)

I have a house with low property tax and no mortgage. Basically the monthly nut while out on the road to maintain it was ~$225 for all utilities and tax for the month. That made it possible to throw the vast majority of every pay check in savings. It doesn't take long to stack deep 5 figure sums doing that.

You're right. Trucking is a great way to save money if one doesn't have expenses back home. Not too easy to spend money on the road, except for food which is insanely priced at most truck stops.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CRST has solo dry van positions out of South Dakota.
    [​IMG]

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Driving in North Dakota is great in winter.
    Just don’t get out of the truck. That’s a bad idea.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I just wanted to make a suggestion for everyone if you're upgrading your license or renewing or whatever.

Check your license carefully. I can't remember what happened I think I had to take a photo on my license for some reason and when I got the card back I looked at it and there was some restriction on there I wasn't familiar with. If I remember correctly it was something about you're not allowed to leave the state of Pennsylvania or something like that?

So I went back in to the DMV and it was some kind of paperwork error I had to fill out another Form but I think if I would have been pulled over like that it could have caused a lot of problems. I still can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was somehow being restricted to inside the state.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I was off for a decade and came back. At one point my Class A was suspended because I forgot to renew my medical since I wasn't driving. I just brought in the med card and DMV was happy with that.
    1st year back was OTR with a great little company out of Idaho making the normal $80k
    Just started my 2nd year back and last weeks check was $2,300 take home for team cryo work.
    Yes it can be worth it. Choose where you want to end up and start getting whatever qualifications they need.

surf_avenue and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.