Would a future employer be able to tell if you took a year off work?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by NightRider9912, Oct 9, 2022.

1. NightRider9912

NightRider9912 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2022
    I'm just curious if somebody worked for a trucking company for a few years and then took a year off work but then went back to that same company they last worked for and let's say they came back after taking a year off and decided to work for like another year but then decided to go to a new trucking company would it be necessary to tell a future employer that you took a year off work at one point or could they even find out?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    F em. It's your life if you want take a year off who cares.

4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    If they did find out, they most likely wouldn't give a sh...

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Nobody cares. Except maybe some bottom feeder mega carrier that would make you team and call it refresher!

6. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I know a guy who works anywhere from six months to a year and then he takes a year off and goes overseas. Chases women around till he’s broke and then comes back and do it again. He always has several job options lined up before he even gets off the plane coming back to the states. It’s truck driving. If you wanna quit and take a year off, it should be nobody’s business but your own. Yes they’re gonna know, but they’re not gonna care. If you’re a safe driver that’s all they care about.
    Do what’s best for YOU and your life.

7. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I took 3 years off prior to starting in trucking. Then between trucking jobs took 4 months off. I’ve now been not working for 3/4 of a year and might start driving again soon, or maybe wait for the spring. I have zero concern about getting a driving job. I think it helps to have a good clean driving record and background.

LilRedRidingHood, lual and bzinger Thank this.
  8. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    What I do on the application is just state that I took time off for personal pursuits and was not looking for employment during that time. Which is true. Never had a trucking company blink at that.

LilRedRidingHood, lual and bzinger Thank this.
  9. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    DRIVER: "Eh, I took a few months away from trucking to make sandals at a hippie colony and get in touch with myself."

COMPANY: "Let's do a nationwide criminal background check to make sure he wasn't incarcerated."

LilRedRidingHood Thanks this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yes they will find out, when they verify previous employment and that 0ne year period can't be verified.

11. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I would be proud of it! Heck....I am proud of it!

Tell them you needed the time to find them!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.