Would buying a 2007 Columbia in 2019 be a dumb idea?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ulenie, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Considering buying a used truck. Looking at a 2007 columbia with a DD and 10 speed. Preferably one with an in-frame already done. What you guys think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Good idea pre def and every other crappy emission control.Just make sure you check over everything. Oil analysis wouldn't hurt.Look for leaks around axle seals,trans seals,etc.If you don't know what your looking at, take along someone that does.Just cause it's old, doesn't mean it's bad. My truck is a 94, pre egr, pre ELD, has just over 600k on the clock, and with a little luck and some hard work I'll be hauling freight soon.And I didn't have to go into debt to get it.The one bad thing is a lot of companies want equipment that's less than 10yrs old, therefore limiting who you can haul for, but if it can pass a level one inspection and it looks good, you'll find work.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add-on
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I had an 07 Columbia Detroit 10 speed ...was an ex Crete truck that was solid and dependable ...got horrible mpg tho , with an apu and running 65 it never got out of the high 5s .

5. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Ya the company requirement is what got me on the edge too. Maybe I can find a small outfit to lease on to. I have been researching what to look for. Are there certain range of miles I should avoid?

Do you mind if I ask where you bought it from? Have heard great things about crete and wouldnt mind getting an ex crete truck. That MPG sucks though. Maybe dropping your speed to below 60 would help.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    They can pretty much be rebuilt forever.Frieghtshakers usually start needing parts around 300k.It all depends on the driver.Mainly look for leaks and cracks,brake drums and shoes, blowby from the oil filler tube and breather tube. Like I said if you don't know what to look for find someone you trust that does it could make all the difference in the world.

ulenie Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I didn't own it ...it was a lease truck from bay @Bay that I didn't keep long .
    None of those trucks of that vintage did well on fuel .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.